Blur Background option suddenly missing

Anonymous
2020-03-30T18:14:12+00:00

Last week I had an option to blur my background while in meetings in Microsoft Teams.  I was just in a meeting today where that was no longer an option even though other people did have blurred background in the meeting.  I have version 1.3.00.3564 (64-bit) and it says it was last updated on 3/5/20, so it does not seem to have been updated since it was working correctly.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-04-15T17:28:21+00:00

Hi Corey Doty,

As per the Docs article below, the background blur feature requires a CPU with AVX2 support: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/hardware-requirements-for-the-teams-app

Engineering has confirmed that a crashing bug was identified recently on machines without AVX2 which is why the feature was available previously for you and is no longer showing up. The bug has now been fixed and will be rolling out in an update soon. Once that fix reaches your machine, the background blur option should appear again.

Thanks,

Omar

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-01-25T17:01:58+00:00

    Have you heard anything new on this?

    I'm also running MacOC 10.13.6 on a Mid 2011 iMac.

    2.5 Intel i5

    20 GB RAM

    AMD Radeon 6750M 512MB

    I had the background feature last week, 1/22/2021 and today the option isn't even there.

    My version of teams installed is 1.3.00.33671, and that was reinstalled today.

    It might be crazy that I'm still using an 11 y/o machine, but this things works great!

    Thanks in advance for any information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-01-25T18:01:36+00:00

    I have found the option available/not available on a random basis. Today it is...last week it was not...the week before it was, most of the days. No rhyme or reason.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-01-26T03:54:00+00:00

    Hi Corey Doty,

    As per the Docs article below, the background blur feature requires a CPU with AVX2 support: 

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/hardware-requirements-for-the-teams-app

    Engineering has confirmed that a crashing bug was identified recently on machines without AVX2 which is why the feature was available previously for you and is no longer showing up. The bug has now been fixed and will be rolling out in an update soon. Once that fix reaches your machine, the background blur option should appear again.

    Thanks,

    Omar

    Hi Omar,

    It is now the end of January 2021. Is there any update to this? I have a 2020 iMac without AVX2 and cannot use any background functionality at all which is causing many issues. Zoom, Skype and other conferencing apps do not have this requirement and it would be great if we could all use Teams not matter what type of computer we have. 

    Thanks,

    Dana

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-01-26T15:46:09+00:00

    After about three hours of fiddling on my iMac, I figured out a solution. 

    1. Login to teams (the window freezed about six times before I could)
    2. Continue steps to finish setup 
    3. Go into Settings 
    4. Select "Disable GPU Hardware Acceleration"
    5. Restart Teams (quit app then open again)
    6. Start a meeting (it may ask you to log in again) and backgrounds should be there!

    This was done on a 2020 iMac with AVX1 so there is a work around but Microsoft doesn't want to share it! I hope this helps!

    Images below for steps 3 and 4

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments