Blur Background option suddenly missing

Anonymous
2020-03-30T18:14:12+00:00

Last week I had an option to blur my background while in meetings in Microsoft Teams.  I was just in a meeting today where that was no longer an option even though other people did have blurred background in the meeting.  I have version 1.3.00.3564 (64-bit) and it says it was last updated on 3/5/20, so it does not seem to have been updated since it was working correctly.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-04-15T17:28:21+00:00

Hi Corey Doty,

As per the Docs article below, the background blur feature requires a CPU with AVX2 support: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/hardware-requirements-for-the-teams-app

Engineering has confirmed that a crashing bug was identified recently on machines without AVX2 which is why the feature was available previously for you and is no longer showing up. The bug has now been fixed and will be rolling out in an update soon. Once that fix reaches your machine, the background blur option should appear again.

Thanks,

Omar

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-11-02T22:42:40+00:00

    I have the same question. Backgrounds worked smoothly until an update earlier today. My iMac High Sierra says I'm working with the latest version.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-11-20T17:12:34+00:00

    I also have a similar problem :( 

    I still have the menu for background options and also when joining a meeting I have the switch to turn on/off background blurring. But the switch to turn on/off the backround blurring is not showing any effect and when selecting background options an empty side-panel is shown on the right side of the screen...

    The options worked on my MacBook Pro and I cant really say when exactly it stopped working :(

    I am using a Macbook Pro 16" (2019) with MacOS X 11.0.1. Very sad, as the blur option in the beginning was one stand-out feature of Microsoft teams :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2020-11-25T19:43:54+00:00

    Hey, Omar, so are the M-Soft engineers working on the glitch? I still have neither the blur nor the background on my 2019 Macbook Pro, fully loaded and everything is updated too.

    Thanks.

    Hi Corey Doty,

    As per the Docs article below, the background blur feature requires a CPU with AVX2 support: 

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/hardware-requirements-for-the-teams-app

    Engineering has confirmed that a crashing bug was identified recently on machines without AVX2 which is why the feature was available previously for you and is no longer showing up. The bug has now been fixed and will be rolling out in an update soon. Once that fix reaches your machine, the background blur option should appear again.

    Thanks,

    Omar

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments