Blur Background option suddenly missing

Anonymous
2020-03-30T18:14:12+00:00

Last week I had an option to blur my background while in meetings in Microsoft Teams.  I was just in a meeting today where that was no longer an option even though other people did have blurred background in the meeting.  I have version 1.3.00.3564 (64-bit) and it says it was last updated on 3/5/20, so it does not seem to have been updated since it was working correctly.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-04-15T17:28:21+00:00

Hi Corey Doty,

As per the Docs article below, the background blur feature requires a CPU with AVX2 support: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/hardware-requirements-for-the-teams-app

Engineering has confirmed that a crashing bug was identified recently on machines without AVX2 which is why the feature was available previously for you and is no longer showing up. The bug has now been fixed and will be rolling out in an update soon. Once that fix reaches your machine, the background blur option should appear again.

Thanks,

Omar

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-04-10T18:46:19+00:00

    Hi Corey Doty - Just this week Microsoft announced GA of the custom background feature which means the UI has changed slightly. The background blur feature is now under "Show background effects". Can you please check if you can see it under there?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-03-30T21:10:50+00:00

    This is the same machine I have used in the past for teams meetings that I was able to blur the background previously, no hardware on it has been changed.  I also updated teams, and now it says:

    You have Microsoft Teams Version 1.3.00.4461 (64-bit). It was last updated on 3/30/20.

    I still do not see the Blur background option (nether in the joining of a meeting or in the ... option while in a meeting.  I just checked the web version of teams, and do not see the option there either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-03-30T20:47:57+00:00

    Hi Corey Doty,

    Based on your scenario, I’d like to confirm whether the device that you use to attend team meeting is the same as before, since not all devices support background blur yet, Microsoft is working on it. In addition, Linux users aren’t able to use this feature at this time. For your reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/blur-your-background-in-a-teams-meeting-f77a2381-443a-499d-825e-509a140f4780?ui=en-us&rs=en-us&ad=us

    In addition, if you don’t change devices, since Microsoft Teams has released newer version, please update it and view if issue disappears. Click Avatar > Check for Updates.

    If issue persists, may I know whether it appears when you attend meeting in Teams Web App?

    Best Regards,

    Betty

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments