Blur Background option suddenly missing

Anonymous
2020-03-30T18:14:12+00:00

Last week I had an option to blur my background while in meetings in Microsoft Teams.  I was just in a meeting today where that was no longer an option even though other people did have blurred background in the meeting.  I have version 1.3.00.3564 (64-bit) and it says it was last updated on 3/5/20, so it does not seem to have been updated since it was working correctly.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-04-15T17:28:21+00:00

Hi Corey Doty,

As per the Docs article below, the background blur feature requires a CPU with AVX2 support: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/hardware-requirements-for-the-teams-app

Engineering has confirmed that a crashing bug was identified recently on machines without AVX2 which is why the feature was available previously for you and is no longer showing up. The bug has now been fixed and will be rolling out in an update soon. Once that fix reaches your machine, the background blur option should appear again.

Thanks,

Omar

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-03-21T16:37:05+00:00

    Found a solution. :-)

    I followed the hint, as described in the following thread:

    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams/blur-background-on-mac-os/m-p/1268681/page/3

    Shortly:

    1. I first logged to an existing teams account.
    2. Pressed the button "New meeting" on the top-right.
    3. Now another, nicer window opens and now I can set the background.

     

    Now even when I close the Teams and start it again by clicking a "Teams" link in an email, I always get this window.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-01-25T18:01:36+00:00

    I have found the option available/not available on a random basis. Today it is...last week it was not...the week before it was, most of the days. No rhyme or reason.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-12-15T22:37:46+00:00

    I have a Mac which seems to outstrip most of the requirements. I have an i5 4 core, 16Gb RAM, MD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB graphics, resolution is 1920x1080 and runs Zoom meetings with a background like a dream.

    I do not have a background effects as an option for Microsoft Teams. I can only presume it is because I am running High Sierra 10.13.6. Apple have told me NOT to try to install the newer OS's on it.

    I do have a Lenovo X1 Yoga laptop (1 week old) with i7 gen 10, Windows 10, 16Gb RAM, Intel UHD Graphics with 1Gb RAAM, resolution 3840x2160. It does give me the background effect as an option. The quality of the image is appalling. 

    I wish I could say different. 

    I don't want blur. I simply want a background.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-04-14T15:16:19+00:00

    I just checked, and I do not have any "Show background effects" option.  The only options I have that aren't in my previous screenshot are "End meeting" and "Show meeting notes", all other options are the same as previously posted.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments