Mouse of presenter slow/unusable/flickering when sharing screen in Microsoft Teams. Unusable when giving control. Via Remote desktop

Anonymous
2020-03-26T15:19:57+00:00

Hi,

We experience the following:

  1. Person "Alice" starts a Teams-Screensharing with "Bob" via the Chat->Screensharing
  2. The mouse of "Alice" is now reacting slow and less usable. It is shaking / flickering. When Alice moves the mouse, the cursor lags behind or shakes.
  3. When "Alice" gives "Bob" control, Alice cannot move her own Mouse-pointer anymore. Bob, who has control, can move the mouse and work on Alice' desktop. Alice cannot move her mouse, so she can't revoke screensharing and also not take away control from Bob. Only if Bob gives up control, Alice can use her desktop again.

When the presenter tries to move her mouse pointer, it is shaking, flickering, slow, dragging. When in addition "giving control" to someone, the mouse is unusable and the remote controller has all control, whereas the presenter loses all mouse control.

(adding synonyms here for people who also search for this problem)

Circumstances under which this happens:

  • Microsoft Teams runs on two PCs "PC-A" and "PC-B" in the same local company network. The PCs are close to each other, no network latency. PC-A (Alice) shares the desktop with PC-B (Bob).
  • Alice sits physically in front of an Acer Laptop and uses VPN, a home internet connection, and Microsoft Remote-Desktop (mstsc.exe) to connect to her "PC-A", which is at the company. Between the Acer Laptop and PC-A there is network latency and limited bandwith as her internet at home is consumer-grade.
  • Bob sits physically in front of his "PC-B".
  • Bob could also be logged in via VPN&remote-desktop like Alice if he works from home-office. The problem is the same.
  • All are Windows 10 with recent patch-level.
  • The two screens of her Laptop and PC-A have different resolutions.
  • Teams is a fresh install a week ago.

If Alice and Bob sit physically in front of PC-A and PC-B, the problem does not occur. Then, there are mutliple mouse-pointers shown and screen sharing with Microsoft Teams works fine.

I suspect it is related to remote desktop (mstsc.exe) and the way that the mouse is moved when being remotely connected. Screen resolutions differ, too.

Did anybody experience this, too?

Any idea how to resolve it?

We could start Teams on the Acer Laptop, but that would open other problems.

kind regards

Leo

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-07-23T11:00:04+00:00

    Unfortunately I don't think this is the answer. I have this issue even when Teams is not running on either the local or remote PC and I'm using a different screen sharing app.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-07-21T20:30:19+00:00

    IT APPEARS IT'S FINALLY FIXED!!!

    Today a new version was released / installed and for the first time in months my mouse doesn't have the black box / laggy mouse issue!

    I checked the versioning and it states:

    "You have Microsoft Teams Version 1.3.00.19173 (32-bit). It was last updated on 7/21/20."

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-07-14T05:02:06+00:00

    Just by chance, I uninstalled Office 365 (which uninstalled Teams) and installed Office 2019.  I then download Teams from Microsoft site and reinstalled it.  Now the mouse issue is gone and the black box no longer appears.  This must be something they introduced in Office 365, the stupid avatar that follows you everywhere but causes erratic mouse movements.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-07-13T21:30:12+00:00

    I'm 99% certain this issue is caused by the avatar that follows the mouse pointer.  It is shown as a black square when Teams is used with an RDP session.  I know this because if I share a single Application, the black square is gone and the mouse act normal.  The moment I share an entire desktop that's when the black square appears and the mouse acts erratic.

    It has got to the point I cannot possibly share my desktop because the erratic mouse movement causes all my windows to minimize when I drag a title bar (another stupid feature).  I think we're going to switch back to WebEx if Microsoft cannot solve this issue.  I don't need the stupid avatar following my pointer.  We should be able to turn that off.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-07-13T13:38:17+00:00

    Hi,

    Yes, that's correct, and then what I do is open up Teams within the RDC if I need to chat/voice call. Otherwise, you'll need to keep minifying the RDC window to use the Local Machine Teams app. 

    Hope this helps

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments