I can't install Windows 11 most recent update due to low disk space.

Jesse Vail 0 Reputation points
2025-07-13T01:00:55.1533333+00:00

I have NO idea what any of the "tags" I was supposed to click above this field. I just need help installing the newest update.

I only have 100g on my C drive and it's just completely full. I've done all the things suggested to free up space. Pretty much nothing but Windows is on that drive. Is my machine now obsololete?

Mid to low end user here. Please be kind.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ian-T 12,725 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2025-07-16T09:53:10.8533333+00:00

    Hello Jesse Vail 3,

     

    Welcome to the Microsoft Q&A Community!

     

    Windows Update requires enough free space on your C: drive to download and apply new files—typically between 20–30 GB or more, depending on the update size. If your system drive is at or near full capacity (e.g., 100 GB used), the update can’t be staged properly.🛠️ Check the solution below:


     

    Ⅰ. Review Your C: Drive Contents

    Since only you know which files are important, carefully examine what can be safely deleted or moved. We strongly recommend backing up valuable files to an external USB drive or hard disk before making changes.

     

    Ⅱ. Use Microsoft’s Disk Cleanup Tutorial

    Follow Microsoft’s step-by-step guide here: 🔗 Free Up Drive Space in Windows

    This includes tips for deleting temporary files, removing unused apps, and using Storage Sense or built-in compression.


    ✅ Helpful Tips

    • Your PC is not outdated—Windows simply needs room to operate safely
    • Offloading large files, compressing seldom-used folders, and clearing cache can quickly regain space
    • Make sure you have a minimum of 30 GB free before attempting feature or security updates

    If you get stuck at any step—or want help reviewing storage usage—just let me know. I'm here to walk you through it!

     

    Best regards,

     

    Ian | Microsoft Q&A Community Support Specialist

    Was this answer helpful?