There's an interesting thread at Reddit on a similar issue. https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/192d6c6/surface_pro_slim_pen_2_no_longer_charging_in/ I don't know which Surface/Keyboard you have or how old your keyboard is. There is also https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/2297630/surface-pro-9-keyboard-not-charging-pen
Surface Slim Pen 2 is not charging in my keyboard
My Surface Slim Pen 2 stopped charging on my keyboard; the LED light won't turn on anymore. I can't tell if it's the keyboard not charging it properly or the pen battery at fault. There is no one with a surface I could ask to test their keyboard and I don't have a separate charging station. Is there a different way to check what the issue is?
Surface | Accessories | Surface Pen
3 additional answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Ian-T 12,725 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2025-07-09T16:50:30.8266667+00:00 Hello Anja,
Welcome to Microsoft Q&A.
If there are authorized Microsoft stores or sales outlets around you, you can bring your Surface, keyboard and Slim Pen 2 there. After explaining the purpose to the shop assistants, I believe they will surely be willing to use the Slim Pen in the store for the test. This can very intuitively confirm whether the problem stems from the charging slot of the keyboard or the battery of the Slim Pen.
However, I'm worried that you don't have such testing conditions. Additionally, considering that most users obviously won't have two keyboards or a second Slim Pen, I think you can directly try sending your Surface along with all the accessories to the Surface technical support team and let the professional engineers inspect and test it. You can refer to the information of the following support links to complete the creation of a service order:
Check your Microsoft warranty and create service orders - Microsoft Support
First, register your Surface in your account, and then follow the prompts to create a service order.
Best Regards,
Ian | Microsoft Q&A Support Specialist
-
Anja Zupan 25 Reputation points
2025-07-10T09:33:03.4166667+00:00 The surface, keyboard and pen are all registered, now 3 years old and fresh out of warranty, so using the provided links for customer support or the in-built surface app gets me nowhere. There is also no official office or repair workshop to take it to where I leave, sending the surface pack (still working laptop and keyboard) all off to some other location leaves me without my mobile workstation.
Reading through the provided Reddit links and posts it seems likely that my keyboard stopped charging the pen. I'll buy the separate charging station and test if the pen still works or not and provide an update to this post.
-
Stefan 0 Reputation points
2026-06-22T15:06:34.97+00:00 I am experiencing the same issue with a Surface Slim Pen 2 and a Surface Pro Keyboard.
The pen still works and is detected by the Surface app, but it no longer charges in the keyboard tray. When inserted, there is no LED and the battery level does not increase. The LED is functional because it flashes during Bluetooth pairing.
Interestingly, the pen briefly vibrates when I remove it from the charging tray. This suggests that the tray or pen detects the removal, but charging does not start when the pen is inserted.
I have already tried updates, restarts, mains power, reconnecting the keyboard, cleaning the tray, and pairing the pen again. The issue has existed for several months.
My setup:
Surface Pro 9
Windows 11
Surface Pro Keyboard firmware 29.201.139
Surface Slim Pen 2 firmware 5.142.139
Surface Slim Pen 2 software 5.150.139
I do not have a separate Slim Pen charger or another compatible keyboard for testing. Has anyone confirmed whether this is usually caused by the pen battery or the keyboard charging tray?