Can't access to Azure due to tenant inactivity!

Bùi Thế Anh‏ 50 Reputation points
2025-07-09T04:18:59.6733333+00:00

Hi everyone! I'm currently facing a bit of a challenge with my Azure account and hoping to get some insights from the community.

I have a personal Azure Tenant linked to my personal account that I haven't used for a very long time – 3 to 4 years. As a result, this tenant has been blocked due to inactivity.

Recently, I needed to use Azure DevOps for a school project. To do this, I attempted to create a new tenant by selecting the "Pay as you go" option, still using the same personal account. I even received an email confirming that my account was successfully set up with a subscription named "Azure subscription 1".

However, when I tried to sign in to the Azure Portal again, it still displays a message saying my tenant is blocked due to inactivity! It seems like creating a new subscription under the same account didn't bypass the old tenant's inactive status.

Is there any way for me to access Azure services (Azure DevOps) while continuing to use my current personal account? I'd really prefer not to create an entirely new account if possible. Any advice or guidance on how to resolve this would be appreciated. Thank you all!

Azure DevOps

Answer accepted by question author
Durga Reshma Malthi 11,600 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2025-07-09T09:00:46.7133333+00:00

Hi Bùi Thế Anh‏

Please check my above response.

And instead of going to portal.azure.com, try accessing the new tenant directly using one of these formats:

https://portal.azure.com/<tenant-name>.onmicrosoft.com

https://portal.azure.com/<tenant-ID>

This bypasses the default redirect to the blocked tenant and may let you access the new one.

You can try:

  1. Signing out completely from all Microsoft services.
  2. Clearing cookies and cache (or using a fresh browser profile).
  3. Logging in using the direct tenant link above.
  4. Once inside, go to Settings -> Directory + Subscription and set your new tenant as the default.

If you are still facing the issue, then Go to the Azure Portal Help + Support page

Select Issue type: Subscription Management, Problem type: Tenant or Directory Issue and mention the Details and create a support request.

Hope this helps!

Please Let me know if you have any queries.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.

6 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Andrew Evseev 0 Reputation points
    2026-01-27T23:22:54.2533333+00:00

    I'm not able to use azure portal at all, after login i get insta error about blocked tenant, the same error on Microsoft entry website.
    If i try to login via https://portal.azure.com/common.onmicrosoft.com, i am able to access dashboard but i cant do anything, cant change directories, create new, create tenants, manage subscriptions etc
    so I'm literally not able to use azure with this account in anyway
    I cant even use support on this limited dashboard, everything gives error about access
    What should i even do in this situation ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. Philip Warfvinge 0 Reputation points
    2026-05-30T08:59:16.0066667+00:00

    I had the same issue as described and the accepted answer did not solve my problem, because I could not enter the portal at all, portal.azure.com/auth/login tried to sign in to the inactive tenant and failed, so none of the portal UI was accessible, and I did not know the name nor the ID of the new tenant, or how to find it without being able to sign in, so neither https://portal.azure.com/<tenant-name>.onmicrosoft.comnor https://portal.azure.com/<tenant-ID> helped. I did manage to solve it by creating a new tenant through here: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/pricing/purchase-options/azure-account. It does not need to be pay-as-you-go, I created a free account.

    Then, in order to be able to switch directory, I logged in here:

    https://portal.azure.com/common.onmicrosoft.com

    There you get "Limited Or No Access - you are not a member of this tenant ...." . But you can access the Portal UI. So you can click your profile in the top right corner and click "switch directory". Then you can switch to your new tenant. You can also make sure that this is the default by changing Startup Directory to this new tenant. After switching, you can go to Microsoft Entra -> Manage Tenants and ensure that the new tenant is the default, otherwise you can select it and click "Make default tenant"

    After logging out of my account and in again, I could access the Azure Portal normally.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.