The error “The specified module could not be found” happening in Windows 11

Anonymous
2021-12-25T04:16:45+00:00

Upgraded one of my desktop PCs to Windows 11. I have a 2nd desktop still running Windows 10

On the Windows 11 desktop the “The specified module could not be found” error occurs. I notice that the error happens when attempting to access a jpeg or mp4

The error can be fixed in cmd window with these commands

C:\Windows\system32>  gpupdate /force

C:\Windows\system32>  sfc /scanfile=c:\windows\system32\ieframe.dll

C:\Windows\system32>  sfc /scannow

C:\Windows\system32>  exit

Restart

Unfortunately, the error eventually re-occurs on my Windows 11 desktop.

This error has never occurred on my Windows 10 desktop.

So, I'm beginning to think that this may be a "Windows 11" bug

Anyone else getting this error?

If so, have you found a permanent solution?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-01-25T01:40:18+00:00

    jmwatt1234,

    All drivers they have brands, try to access brands official website to download the latest version of them. Priority is given to uninstalling and reinstalling external devices such as mice and printers.

    Let's take the Intel graphics card as an example:

    Hold down Windows + X and open Device Manager > Expand Display Adapter > Select the Intel graphic card > Right click it and select Properties > Click Uninstall > OK > And then access the brand official website to download the latest version of graphics driver to install it to your Windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-09T22:45:56+00:00

    This all doesn't work for me. My drivers are updated. The weird thing is it's only happening with the Microsoft Photo App. And not with all the pictures I found out. For example: The pictures on C: (desktop etc.) are sometimes working. But the pictures on different drives aren't. If I uninstall the photo app via Powershell, restart the pc, reinstall the photo app. It works a few times maybe, but the error: "The specified procedure could not be found" will be back!

    If I right-click -> open with -> choose other app: Photos (MS) -> 'check' the box always use this app to open .jpg. Than the photo app opens without the error. If I double-click (left) on the picture again, I get the error message.
    I also re do the default apps and extensions without results.

    Is it possible it's a permission/security issue? I never had this with Win10 and again it only happens with the MS photo app, so far.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-11T16:03:12+00:00

    mickey2002 - I've tried all of the "fixes" suggested, they all fail to resolve the problem. The result is always the same, the error goes away for a while but then re appears. I only get this error with "Photos" and "Movies & TV". This error only started to happen after installing Win11 (I have another desktop still running Win10, this error has never happened on my Win10 PC). So I think the only real solution would be to wipe the PC and do a fresh install of Win10 - but that would be a real hassle. As a workaround I now just run the "Restoro" app (3rd party software, cost about $30 for a year) to temporarily fix the problem. I'm hoping that some future Win11 update may somehow fix this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-11T16:03:52+00:00

    I've tried all of the "fixes" suggested, they all fail to resolve the problem. The result is always the same, the error goes away for a while but then re appears. I only get this error with "Photos" and "Movies & TV". This error only started to happen after installing Win11 (I have another desktop still running Win10, this error has never happened on my Win10 PC). So I think the only real solution would be to wipe the PC and do a fresh install of Win10 - but that would be a real hassle. As a workaround I now just run the "Restoro" app (3rd party software, cost about $30 for a year) to temporarily fix the problem. I'm hoping that some future Win11 update may somehow fix this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-11T16:39:57+00:00

    "As a workaround I now just run the "Restoro" app (3rd party software, cost about $30 for a year) to temporarily fix the problem. I'm hoping that some future Win11 update may somehow fix this issue."

    That's not a good workaround since the problem reoccurs. It is not good that the problem reoccurs as that means its continually breaking. You can't assume Windows is continually doing it.

    If you use a 3rd party AntiVirus application (and Restoro includes this) you could try fully disabling that or maybe having to uninstall and rely on Windows Defender. See if it goes away.

    Since you use Restoro, something like that could potentially also cause this while another function of it just happens to also fix it. Its totally possible. Cleaners/fixers like that are not in your best interest as they clean whatever and anything and sometimes very incorrectly.

    You also cannot assume that if Restoro works on Windows 10 fine that it will be identical on Windows 11. There will be code differences due to OS version differences to a strong degree with how integrated this type of application has to be.

    It could also be something is causing file loss but I'd expect to see more issues as a result so it should be something else if not.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments