The error “The specified module could not be found” happening in Windows 11

Anonymous
2021-12-25T04:16:45+00:00

Upgraded one of my desktop PCs to Windows 11. I have a 2nd desktop still running Windows 10

On the Windows 11 desktop the “The specified module could not be found” error occurs. I notice that the error happens when attempting to access a jpeg or mp4

The error can be fixed in cmd window with these commands

C:\Windows\system32>  gpupdate /force

C:\Windows\system32>  sfc /scanfile=c:\windows\system32\ieframe.dll

C:\Windows\system32>  sfc /scannow

C:\Windows\system32>  exit

Restart

Unfortunately, the error eventually re-occurs on my Windows 11 desktop.

This error has never occurred on my Windows 10 desktop.

So, I'm beginning to think that this may be a "Windows 11" bug

Anyone else getting this error?

If so, have you found a permanent solution?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-05-03T20:54:37+00:00

    The error comes and goes a bug in Microsoft's New movie app. Simple restart pf explorer or laptop. Till that bug gets fixed I have switched over to vlc player till the bugs get fixed

    Yes I know. Just restarting the PC isn't solve it for me, that's why I asked the question to all of you...

    So, it is (temporarily) fixed just by restarting explorer? Interesting....

    I noticed that explorer crashes a lot (don't know why yet). I also don't get what the link is between explorer and the MS photo app: Why is it solved when restarting explorer?!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-05-05T21:23:12+00:00

    Thanks mickey2002! That worked for .JPGs for me. Didn't help with videos though. I ended the "Movies & TV" task and was able to open videos again. I'm assuming these are temp fixes I'll have to re-do periodically until Microsoft gets around to fixing this bug!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-07-02T23:06:19+00:00

    Me too. Brand new laptop. All new installations. I hate W11 already. W10 was/is much better.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-07-03T20:23:25+00:00

    Agree - after exhausting all fixes I think the most likely root cause is some subtle bug in Win11 - this error continues to appear from time to time on my Desktop (Dell XPS) - and then just seems to "resolve" itself

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments