The error “The specified module could not be found” happening in Windows 11

Anonymous
2021-12-25T04:16:45+00:00

Upgraded one of my desktop PCs to Windows 11. I have a 2nd desktop still running Windows 10

On the Windows 11 desktop the “The specified module could not be found” error occurs. I notice that the error happens when attempting to access a jpeg or mp4

The error can be fixed in cmd window with these commands

C:\Windows\system32>  gpupdate /force

C:\Windows\system32>  sfc /scanfile=c:\windows\system32\ieframe.dll

C:\Windows\system32>  sfc /scannow

C:\Windows\system32>  exit

Restart

Unfortunately, the error eventually re-occurs on my Windows 11 desktop.

This error has never occurred on my Windows 10 desktop.

So, I'm beginning to think that this may be a "Windows 11" bug

Anyone else getting this error?

If so, have you found a permanent solution?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-03-11T13:22:07+00:00

    This error has NOT resolved. I still get it. i do a system restore back to where I do not have that error. A few days later it comes back

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-03-10T22:01:30+00:00

    Hi

    I've been having the same experience, all of the trouble shooting fixes were short term. My desktop is a DELL XPS that I upgraded from Win10 to Win11. I also have an older Inspiron running Win10. This error never happened on my Win10 PC, only started to happen after upgrading my XPS to Win11

    The last time the error happened I ran a full system Norton scan, and there have also been some Win11 updates from Microsoft - its been a number of weeks now and the error has not yet re-occurred.

    I don't really know if its been fixed or not, time will tell...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-03-10T20:40:18+00:00

    I have the same problem and it's on a brand new computer with Windows 11 pre-installed from Dell. I've also tried all the troubleshooting steps noted in this thread. It's always a short term fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-03-09T16:06:00+00:00

    Thanks for your info

    I was also getting the error on "Photos" and "Movies & TV"

    The last time it happened I fixed it by doing a full Norton virus scan, and there has also been some Win11 updates

    The error had been re-emerging frequently, but I haven't gotten the error in quite a while, don't know why

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-03-08T22:38:14+00:00

    I'm having the same problem when trying to open a jpeg with MS Photo app.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments