The error “The specified module could not be found” happening in Windows 11

Anonymous
2021-12-25T04:16:45+00:00

Upgraded one of my desktop PCs to Windows 11. I have a 2nd desktop still running Windows 10

On the Windows 11 desktop the “The specified module could not be found” error occurs. I notice that the error happens when attempting to access a jpeg or mp4

The error can be fixed in cmd window with these commands

C:\Windows\system32>  gpupdate /force

C:\Windows\system32>  sfc /scanfile=c:\windows\system32\ieframe.dll

C:\Windows\system32>  sfc /scannow

C:\Windows\system32>  exit

Restart

Unfortunately, the error eventually re-occurs on my Windows 11 desktop.

This error has never occurred on my Windows 10 desktop.

So, I'm beginning to think that this may be a "Windows 11" bug

Anyone else getting this error?

If so, have you found a permanent solution?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-03-31T20:17:37+00:00

    Aaannnnd it's back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-03-11T19:20:36+00:00

    I haven't had the error for a few weeks as well

    It went away after I did a full norton scan, there have also been a few win11 updates

    Can't really discern what may have "fixed it"

    This is the longest I've gone with out getting the error since it started happening, so maybe its

    really fixed, time will tell...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-03-11T19:15:54+00:00

    Thanks for the fix

    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.SecHealthUI -AllUsers | Reset-AppxPackage

    I haven't been getting the error for a few weeks now, the last time it happened it went away after I did a full system Norton scan, there has also been a few Win11 updates

    I'll try this if the error starts happening again...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-03-11T18:50:44+00:00

    My error seemed to have gone away on its own a few weeks ago. I did a hard re-start of my machine (which I typically keep running and just log out) and on restart it was gone.

    I don't know if Windows had any updates that installed on re-start but presume that may have been what fixed it.

    At least it fixed it for several weeks. Got the same message earlier this week, but then it went away when I clicked a different mp4 file and hasn't reappeared since.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-03-11T18:09:14+00:00

    You are very welcome. Happy to help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments