Update: I did a system restore to reverse KB4023057. Everything seems to be working normally, but I still cannot install KB5008212. Same message everyone else has. Btw, my laptop is a 1.5 yo Lenovo.
Cumulative Update KB5008212 will not install
I have a Dell laptop that I will be getting rid of and need to wipe clean the hard drive. I cannot use the DVD drive as Windows is cannot read the CD-RW Disc, so I cannot download the data removal software DBan. Since I purchased a new laptop in Sept, I have not used the Dell laptop; hence, no updates have been installed. Now, in order to for me to try to fix the DVD drive issue, I need to run updates; otherwise, I can do nothing on the laptop.
The latest cumulative update, KB5008212 is holding everything up to where I cannot do anything. It took most of the afternoon, into the evening to download. Now, it is stuck at Installing 100%. I went to the Windows Update catalog website to manually download and install the update, but I think there was an issue with the offline installer, it took forever to find the update on the computer.
I've run Windows Update over and over, but it just goes back to KB5008212 stuck at Installing 100%. I uninstalled the third-party security software app and that has not helped. In addition, there is a Microsoft Defender Antivirus security update that is attempting to download; it is stuck at Downloading: 10%.
Is there anything I can do to get this update to install or should just leave the laptop on overnight and see what happens?
Thanks.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2022-01-03T03:27:24+00:00 -
Anonymous
2022-01-03T13:45:11+00:00 No Windows update is risk free especially one where you have to perform unusual steps to complete. Just because nothing went wrong for you doesn't mean that will be true for everyone who tries the workaround. For the record three out of the four systems I have tried updating so far (all running 64 bit) have successfully installed KB5008212.
Unfortunately my most important system is the one where the update failed and I can not risk trying some workaround and putting that system at risk.
Of course something is different on systems that have failed. Something went wrong during the update process and Widows is unable to fix the error despite performing normal repair procedures.
The whole point is that we need to get MS to acknowledge the problem and issue a fix unless you want to have to go through this every time a simple Windows update is released.
The fact that no MS Agent has responded to this thread is not a good sign but all we can do is keep trying.
-
Anonymous
2022-01-03T16:56:22+00:00 In the past, when an update would not run normally through Windows Update, I manually downloaded the update from the Microsoft Updates Catalog website and installed it with no problem. As I mentioned before, I tried to manually install this update but for some reason, it wouldn't. Could be an issue with the Windows or an issue with the hard drive.
But I not concerned with it anymore. The hard drive has been wiped. I will remove the hard drive and recycle the laptop.
I tried installing it from the Windows catalogue with the same results. It didn't work.
-
Anonymous
2022-01-03T18:04:12+00:00 Given the limited statistics we have from this thread, and projecting to the "bigger picture" that KB5008212 has probably installed successfully on significantly more computers than on which it failed, leads me to suspect that when KB5008212 fails to install successfully on a computer, there is an issue with that computer. This is probably the reason that MS hasn't responded. In other words, there may not be anything "wonky" with this update; rather, there may be something "wonky" with the computers on which it fails to install.
-
Anonymous
2022-01-03T20:09:56+00:00 That's nothing more than speculation. There are other people reporting the issue outside this thread:
Dated December 30th:
"But unfortunately, several users complain, Windows Update failed to install certain updates. Or windows update KB5008212 download stuck at 0% or at 99%."
https://windows101tricks.com/windows-update-failed-to-install/
There is nothing wrong with the one computer of mine that KB5008212 fails on. It has no third party AV software, no third party browser. It is the most pampered system you can imagine. It is a mission specific computer and all it is used for is music production. It never surfs the net, never opens e-mails and anything installed on it gets scanned on this system beforehand. It is 100% virus and malware free.
The only thing wrong with that system is that it's infected with Windows 10. People said the same thing when some of us who actually pay attention to what Windows is doing to our systems noticed the WasSMedic bug. They blamed the systems or the users but after months of bugging MS and submitting feedback reports MS found the problem and a fix was issued in a KB in October. Problem solved.
The fact that the majority of systems updated fine doesn't mean there isn't something wonky about KB5008212. The fact that the update continues to fail over and over on those systems even after repair procedures are run points more to an error caused by Windows that it can not fix at this time.
The reason MS Agents haven't responded is most likely because they have no clue what's going on or they know there is a bug in the update and simply don't want to admit the fact.