Cumulative Update KB5008212 will not install

Anonymous
2021-12-19T04:26:40+00:00

I have a Dell laptop that I will be getting rid of and need to wipe clean the hard drive. I cannot use the DVD drive as Windows is cannot read the CD-RW Disc, so I cannot download the data removal software DBan. Since I purchased a new laptop in Sept, I have not used the Dell laptop; hence, no updates have been installed. Now, in order to for me to try to fix the DVD drive issue, I need to run updates; otherwise, I can do nothing on the laptop.

The latest cumulative update, KB5008212 is holding everything up to where I cannot do anything. It took most of the afternoon, into the evening to download. Now, it is stuck at Installing 100%. I went to the Windows Update catalog website to manually download and install the update, but I think there was an issue with the offline installer, it took forever to find the update on the computer.

I've run Windows Update over and over, but it just goes back to KB5008212 stuck at Installing 100%. I uninstalled the third-party security software app and that has not helped. In addition, there is a Microsoft Defender Antivirus security update that is attempting to download; it is stuck at Downloading: 10%.

Is there anything I can do to get this update to install or should just leave the laptop on overnight and see what happens?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-12-29T13:37:42+00:00

    I'm having the same issue on two separate pcs. One a HP laptop, another a self-built desktop pc.
    The download is exceedingly slow, not more than a kb or less per second. Sometimes it calls it at ~ 35% with something went wrong, sometimes it goes to 100 and stops. Error code 0x80070003.

    What went wrong with this update package exactly?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-12-29T18:37:09+00:00

    That's the big question. What went wonky with this update? I managed to install it successfully on three systems so far but one continues to fail. Why I have no idea.

    The problem is even though we are at "answers.microsoft.com" it's going to be hard to get anyone who is actually an MS agent to acknowledge the issue and until that happens there will be no fix. It was that way with the WasSMedic Agent.exe bug that took almost 10 months to fix.

    MS agents just stopped responding after awhile since they didn't have a clue what the problem was let alone how to fix it so we were left to just guess what was going on.

    What we could try to do is submit a report through the Feedback Hub after a failed update but even that is hit and miss at best. Many times it simply does not work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-12-30T20:24:37+00:00

    Follow-up...

    Downloading KB5008212 and attempting to install it manually after doing a clean boot didn't work. This time I actually see on the update history list that the installation failed, and it shows Error 0x800f0845. So, at this point I'll keep pausing updates till I find a solution to this problem.

    Problem solved!!!

    Even after trying just about every procedure I found on various Internet resources, the installation of KB5008212 failed by giving me the little white circles endlessly spinning in a circle immediately following the Windows 10 logo after the restart, which forced me to manually shut down the computer every time.

    Here is what I finally did, which solved the problem. My x86-based computer's Operating System was Windows 10, version 21H1, and has not yet received a notification from Microsoft that the Windows 10, version 21H2 was available. So I decided to access Microsoft's Download Windows 10 page (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) and manually install the Windows 10 November 2021 Update by downloading the Update Assistant with clicking "Update now", which downloaded the file Windows10Upgrade9252.exe. After the download completed, I ran (as Administrator) the file and let it do its thing. Once the process started, it took several hours to complete successfully, i.e., it installed this new feature package, 21H2, on my computer. While this process was executing, it allowed you to minimize its window, and that allowed me to continue to use the computer.

    This morning I checked to see what all was installed beside the 21H2, and, lo and behold, KB5008212 appeared when I checked installed updates. I then undid the "Pause updates" to resume receiving Windows updates, and shortly thereafter three new updates for Windows 10, version 21H2 popped up, downloaded, and installed. One of them, a cumulative preview update for .NET framework 3.5 and 4.8, required a restart. After the restart the computer booted properly, and it's running just fine.

    I hope this information will be helpful to some of you who are having the problems with KB5008212.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-12-31T01:18:49+00:00

    That's not a solution that's a workaround. Microsoft needs to fix the issue. Having to install 21H1 and put our systems at risk is not the right way to go.

    I will continue to pause updates until MS comes up with a real solution to the problem they have created by releasing a wonky update.

    I'd advise caution to anyone considering the workaround.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-12-31T02:18:12+00:00

    That's not a solution that's a workaround. Microsoft needs to fix the issue. Having to install 21H1 and put our systems at risk is not the right way to go.

    I will continue to pause updates until MS comes up with a real solution to the problem they have created by releasing a wonky update.

    I'd advise caution to anyone considering the workaround.

    Marc, I solved MY problem with KB5008212. I didn't install 21H1, I installed 21H2, and since I wasn't paying attention to the progress of that installation, I cannot say how and when KB5008212 eventually got installed. As I pointed out, the process took several hours on my computer to complete.

    Let me add the following. After my installation ended I checked my wife's computer, the same Dell model, except the slim version of it, and discovered that her x86-OS was Windows 10, version 21H1, with KB5008212 having installed successfully a week ago. On her Windows Update page there was a notification that the new Feature update package is available to download and install. I proceeded to do that, and that process of installing Windows 10, version 21H2 took only about 15 minutes, as compared to mine having taken several hours.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments