I guess that we can argue on whether this is, or isn't, a workaround. Yet, here is some personal data. We have these five (5) old computers (BTW, none of them qualify for upgrading to Windows 11):
- Dell 531 that ran Windows 10 Pro, version 21H1, 32-bit
- Dell 530 that ran Windows 10 Home Edition, version 21H1, 32-bit
- Dell 530S that ran Windows 10 Home Edition, version 21H1, 32-bit
- Gateway DX4200-09 that ran Windows 10 Home Edition, version 21H1, 64-bit (a hand-me-down from a friend)
- Compaq Presario CQ56-115DX Notebook that ran Windows 10 Home edition, version 21H1, 64-bit (a hand-me-down from a friend)
On four of the above five computers KB5008212 installed automatically and successfully - on #s 1, 3, 4, & 5. All four of these computer received the notification from Microsoft that the 21H2 Feature update is available to download & install, and when I initiated that process, the update to 21H2 successfully installed in less than 15 minutes on each of them. It was only #2 that had the problem I described in an earlier detailed post.
So, IMHO, since the KB5008212 installed successfully on four of the above computers, the issue with installing that particular update on #2 may have been caused by something specific to that computer and, similarly, it may be due to something specific on the computers of those who are having a problem with installing it. I am sure that the update installed successfully on many more computers than on those where it didn't install. From that perspective, I suppose that the process I described can be considered as a workaround, albeit a risk-free one, as I pointed out previously.