@MarcHoppe, I could not agree more with your philosophy. I, too, refuse to install anything 3rd party on my main laptop. I also respect the music production. I worked years ago with Fruity Loops, Arturia, Cakewalk and Sonar. I'm sure the technology has progressed vastly since my time.
So I landed on this thread after trying to determine why my Disk and CPU usage where spiked at 100%. I did a factory reset on my laptop (HP AMD Windows 10 Home); and the problem persisted. I found my way to the Windows Update admin page; and noticed I was stuck downloading an update at 66% (KB5008212). Could this be the reason for my high resource usage? Surely not... but maybe??
I tried to get the download to progress, unsuccessfully. I tried stopping services; restarting the computer; nothing worked. FINALLY, I came across a thread which instructed to press Windows + R, run the services.msc command, find "Windows Update" and stop the service. THEN, go to the c:/Windows folder and delete the "SoftwareDistribution" folder. THIS WAS KEY. Once I restarted, my resource usage dropped drastically back down to the 5% range for both CPU and Disk usage.
So, like you, I have paused the updates and will wait for MS to resolve. I think of the time I have wasted; the money lost while I could be doing other work; all for what should have been a simple MS update.
Please, MS, take a look at this. I understand it could be computer related; but this is a new laptop, never any 3rd party apps installed, only using genuine MS software; with a fresh reformat. I have tried the update numerous times; and fail every single time. It either hangs while downloading or while installing. I have never made it past the 20% mark when I make it to the installing portion of the update.