Cumulative Update KB5008212 will not install

Anonymous
2021-12-19T04:26:40+00:00

I have a Dell laptop that I will be getting rid of and need to wipe clean the hard drive. I cannot use the DVD drive as Windows is cannot read the CD-RW Disc, so I cannot download the data removal software DBan. Since I purchased a new laptop in Sept, I have not used the Dell laptop; hence, no updates have been installed. Now, in order to for me to try to fix the DVD drive issue, I need to run updates; otherwise, I can do nothing on the laptop.

The latest cumulative update, KB5008212 is holding everything up to where I cannot do anything. It took most of the afternoon, into the evening to download. Now, it is stuck at Installing 100%. I went to the Windows Update catalog website to manually download and install the update, but I think there was an issue with the offline installer, it took forever to find the update on the computer.

I've run Windows Update over and over, but it just goes back to KB5008212 stuck at Installing 100%. I uninstalled the third-party security software app and that has not helped. In addition, there is a Microsoft Defender Antivirus security update that is attempting to download; it is stuck at Downloading: 10%.

Is there anything I can do to get this update to install or should just leave the laptop on overnight and see what happens?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-12-28T01:50:56+00:00

    Follow-up...

    Downloading KB5008212 and attempting to install it manually after doing a clean boot didn't work. This time I actually see on the update history list that the installation failed, and it shows Error 0x800f0845. So, at this point I'll keep pausing updates till I find a solution to this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-12-27T22:49:50+00:00

    I have almost the same issue. It downloads and installs, but says, "There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x800f020b)"

    I had the same issue last week with KB4023057. I got a guy at "Just Answers" to do a manual install for me. Now all my PDF are displaying badly. (yellow background and graphics aren't displaying after printing on MS Print to PDF). And I'm having this issue again with this update.

    The upgrade to Windows 11 is now available for me, but I'm afraid to install it.

    Someone please help!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-12-27T14:24:01+00:00

    That's what happens here. It stops at 20% and then the "something went wrong try again" error message pops up.

    This is obviously (yet another) wonky Windows update so I'm just going to pause updates for a week or so and see if M$ issues a fix. I'm hoping they are aware of the issue. If anyone was here for the WaaSMedic Agent.exe bug you know it can take some time before M$ issues a fix.

    For the record the one system I own that KB5008212 fails on is custom built. The update installed fine on two HP computers I own and I'm going to try on a Dell that I own to see what happens. I don't think it has anything to do with the manufacturer of the system it just appears to be a random fail.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-12-27T09:58:22+00:00

    Used this and solved my problem using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool as suggested by ThioJoe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yidWdy-Xwdk approx 6:45 in it starts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-12-27T04:16:41+00:00

    When I tried to download the update from the Microsoft Catalog it didn't even download. The download window opened with the link to the "msu" file, but clicking on that link didn't do anything, i.e., the download didn't occur. This never happened to me in the past when I downloaded updates from the Microsoft Catalog and then manually installed them. This, too, seemed unusual.

    So now I right-clicked on the "msu" link and asked for it to open in a new tab, and something is downloading. OK, it downloaded, and tomorrow I'll attempt to install it, but will create a Restore Point ahead of trying to install it. I'll report the results sometime tomorrow afternoon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments