Cumulative Update KB5008212 will not install

Anonymous
2021-12-19T04:26:40+00:00

I have a Dell laptop that I will be getting rid of and need to wipe clean the hard drive. I cannot use the DVD drive as Windows is cannot read the CD-RW Disc, so I cannot download the data removal software DBan. Since I purchased a new laptop in Sept, I have not used the Dell laptop; hence, no updates have been installed. Now, in order to for me to try to fix the DVD drive issue, I need to run updates; otherwise, I can do nothing on the laptop.

The latest cumulative update, KB5008212 is holding everything up to where I cannot do anything. It took most of the afternoon, into the evening to download. Now, it is stuck at Installing 100%. I went to the Windows Update catalog website to manually download and install the update, but I think there was an issue with the offline installer, it took forever to find the update on the computer.

I've run Windows Update over and over, but it just goes back to KB5008212 stuck at Installing 100%. I uninstalled the third-party security software app and that has not helped. In addition, there is a Microsoft Defender Antivirus security update that is attempting to download; it is stuck at Downloading: 10%.

Is there anything I can do to get this update to install or should just leave the laptop on overnight and see what happens?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-11T17:30:11+00:00

    Well after another month I still can not update Windows on one of my most critical windows system. I've tried every trick in the book.

    My only recourse at this point is a fresh install.

    Good job Microsoft you should be proud. You managed to break your operating system by simply applying an update to your operating system. Amazing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-12-27T02:25:14+00:00

    In the past, when an update would not run normally through Windows Update, I manually downloaded the update from the Microsoft Updates Catalog website and installed it with no problem. As I mentioned before, I tried to manually install this update but for some reason, it wouldn't. Could be an issue with the Windows or an issue with the hard drive.

    But I not concerned with it anymore. The hard drive has been wiped. I will remove the hard drive and recycle the laptop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-12-27T02:24:03+00:00

    Well, the update installed successfully on my new Lenovo laptop, so I am not sure if the problem is with the Dell laptop itself. The laptop is only three years old. I purchased it in December 2018.

    The hard drive seems to be corrupted; nothing is working. I found out that Dell has a data wipe feature. I am running that now. Will wait and see what happens with that.

    KB5008212 installed without a hitch on my old Presario CQ56 64-bit Notebook. Some of the folks posting here didn't mention the make of their computers on which the update installed successfully and on which it did not install. The Dell computers mentioned seem to have issues with this update, so I'm wondering if this is a Dell-related issue.

    I should also mention that I have a computer running Windows 10 Pro, version 20H2, which I don't use much, but it hasn't yet been notified of the 21H1 feature update, nor of the KB5008212 update. If and when those notifications arrive, I'll attempt to install them, but will create a Restore Point ahead of time just in case there is a problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-12-25T18:36:09+00:00

    Well, the update installed successfully on my new Lenovo laptop, so I am not sure if the problem is with the Dell laptop itself. The laptop is only three years old. I purchased it in December 2018.

    The hard drive seems to be corrupted; nothing is working. I found out that Dell has a data wipe feature. I am running that now. Will wait and see what happens with that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-12-19T05:00:57+00:00

    Hi Cagill -

    I'm Kevin B., I do apologize for the inconvenience that you're experiencing right now, let me help you sort things out.

    Updates usually takes time to complete depending on the speed of your computer and internet. If the Windows Updates are not working on your windows or an update is not getting installed, kindly follow the steps below and check if it helps in fixing the issue with Windows Updates

    Click on the link below and follow the steps in running the windows update troubleshooter on your computer to identify and the tool will attempt to fix the issue

    Windows Update Troubleshooter

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win...

    If the above method did not fix the issue, kindly click on the link below and follow the steps to troubleshoot update issues with Windows 10

    Troubleshoot problems updating Windows

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/tro...

    Hope this will help and have a bless day!

    Thanks.

    Kevin B.

    Independent advisor

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments