Cumulative Update KB5008212 will not install

Anonymous
2021-12-19T04:26:40+00:00

I have a Dell laptop that I will be getting rid of and need to wipe clean the hard drive. I cannot use the DVD drive as Windows is cannot read the CD-RW Disc, so I cannot download the data removal software DBan. Since I purchased a new laptop in Sept, I have not used the Dell laptop; hence, no updates have been installed. Now, in order to for me to try to fix the DVD drive issue, I need to run updates; otherwise, I can do nothing on the laptop.

The latest cumulative update, KB5008212 is holding everything up to where I cannot do anything. It took most of the afternoon, into the evening to download. Now, it is stuck at Installing 100%. I went to the Windows Update catalog website to manually download and install the update, but I think there was an issue with the offline installer, it took forever to find the update on the computer.

I've run Windows Update over and over, but it just goes back to KB5008212 stuck at Installing 100%. I uninstalled the third-party security software app and that has not helped. In addition, there is a Microsoft Defender Antivirus security update that is attempting to download; it is stuck at Downloading: 10%.

Is there anything I can do to get this update to install or should just leave the laptop on overnight and see what happens?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-12-30T20:24:37+00:00

    Follow-up...

    Downloading KB5008212 and attempting to install it manually after doing a clean boot didn't work. This time I actually see on the update history list that the installation failed, and it shows Error 0x800f0845. So, at this point I'll keep pausing updates till I find a solution to this problem.

    Problem solved!!!

    Even after trying just about every procedure I found on various Internet resources, the installation of KB5008212 failed by giving me the little white circles endlessly spinning in a circle immediately following the Windows 10 logo after the restart, which forced me to manually shut down the computer every time.

    Here is what I finally did, which solved the problem. My x86-based computer's Operating System was Windows 10, version 21H1, and has not yet received a notification from Microsoft that the Windows 10, version 21H2 was available. So I decided to access Microsoft's Download Windows 10 page (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) and manually install the Windows 10 November 2021 Update by downloading the Update Assistant with clicking "Update now", which downloaded the file Windows10Upgrade9252.exe. After the download completed, I ran (as Administrator) the file and let it do its thing. Once the process started, it took several hours to complete successfully, i.e., it installed this new feature package, 21H2, on my computer. While this process was executing, it allowed you to minimize its window, and that allowed me to continue to use the computer.

    This morning I checked to see what all was installed beside the 21H2, and, lo and behold, KB5008212 appeared when I checked installed updates. I then undid the "Pause updates" to resume receiving Windows updates, and shortly thereafter three new updates for Windows 10, version 21H2 popped up, downloaded, and installed. One of them, a cumulative preview update for .NET framework 3.5 and 4.8, required a restart. After the restart the computer booted properly, and it's running just fine.

    I hope this information will be helpful to some of you who are having the problems with KB5008212.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-12-26T05:02:12+00:00

    The update installed fine on two of my Win 10 computers but not the third. There is nothing wrong with that system other than the fact that it is running Windows 10. Like I said other people are reporting the same issue so it looks like it's just another wonky Windows update.

    I, too, am having a problem installing KB5008212, although a somewhat different one - I must have tried to install this update about half-a-dozen times by now without success. I have a Dell desktop running Windows 10, version 21H1, 32-bit. The first couple times I tried to install the update, upon Restart the computer got stuck on the black screen that follows right after the initial blue Windows logo with the little white dots going around in a circle. On that black screen the little white dots were going around in a circle endlessly, and I mean endlessly, without further progress. I even left the computer on over night, and in the morning those little white dots were still going around in a circle.

    On one of the later attempts something must have gone on while I was away from the computer, the computer booted up, and the update history showed (and still does) that the update was successfully installed on 12/21/21, yet, when I checked the list of installed updates via the Control Panel, KB5008212 was not one of the listed updates. Sure enough, the next day there was a new notice that KB5008212 has downloaded, installed, and Restart was required to complete the installation. I thought that was weird, but I hit the Restart anyway and let the computer go through the process. Unfortunately, it once again got stuck on the black screen with the little white dots going around in a circle.

    After several unsuccessful attempts, today I decided to manually power off the computer and restart it several times till it informed me that it is diagnosing the problem and attempting to fix it. I let it run its course and, sure enough, it booted up normally, though it took quite a while longer that usual. When I checked the update history, it still showed that KB5008212 was successfully installed on 12/21/21, yet it was still missing from the list of updates obtained via the Control Panel.

    I tried a whole slew of "tricks" that were suggested by various resources on the Internet, but none fixed the issue. The only thing that I have not yet tried when the KB5008212 is still awaiting Restart is a clean boot, because I'm not sure this will fix the issue. So, for now, I decided to pause updates for 7 days hoping to find a solution that will fix this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-12-25T20:06:22+00:00

    The update installed fine on two of my Win 10 computers but not the third. There is nothing wrong with that system other than the fact that it is running Windows 10. Like I said other people are reporting the same issue so it looks like it's just another wonky Windows update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-12-26T13:21:00+00:00

    I have tried a least a half dozen times and KB5008212 simply refuses to install on that system. It gets to about 20% then it generates the "something went wrong try again" message. It installed just fine on this system and one other but this one is still on 20H2.

    I too have paused updates for seven days and hopefully a fix for this wonky Windows update will be issued by then. Some have suggested manually downloading the KB but I'll wait to see if a fix is issued first.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-12-25T13:26:44+00:00

    I have the same issue with KB5008212 as well and it appears others have too. The update has failed a half dozen times already. I have tried the troubleshooter, SFC/scannow etc etc with no luck.

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/668808/kb5008212-will-not-install-and-keeps-trying-every.html

    It just failed again this morning and the Error Code is 0X80073701

    If anyone has some advice beyond copy/pasted generic responses I would be grateful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments