Verizon/AOL e-mail setup for Windows Mail app and Outlook

Anonymous
2021-12-06T04:38:08+00:00

i have a Windows 11 Dell XPS computer (2021) and am finding it hard to set up Verizon/AOL e-mail on either the home Windows e-mail app or in the Office Outlook e-mail app.

I know that since Verizon's e-mail migration to AOL there came some changes about June or July of this year that affect Windows computers handling Verizon/AOL e-mail...

And that is where the problem lies! I used to be able to follow these steps to establish e-mail in the Windows e-mail app:

  1. Hit search box and then click on SETTINGS
  2. In SETTINGS click on accounts
  3. On next screen click on E-MAIL AND APP ACCOUNTS
  4. In next window click on ADD AN ACCOUNT
  5. In ADD AN ACCOUNT scroll down to SUN SYMBOL. Click on this for ADVANCED SETUP
  6. In ADVANCED SETUP click on INTERNET E-MAIL Next come a series of categories where the rectangular squares need filled in:

E-MAIL ADDRESS [I put ******@verizon.net]

USER NAME [I put ******@verizon.net}

PASSWORD [i put in my AOL/Verizon password]

ACCOUNT NAME [I put in AOL Verizon E Mail]

SEND MESSAGES USING THIS NAME [I used my first and last name]

INCOMMING MAIL SERVER [I put pop.verizon.net:995]

ACCOUNT TYPE [I put pop3]

The next 4 have checks marks to the left beside them [uncheck the last 3]:

Outgoing server requires authenticatioin

Use same user name and password for sending e-mail

Require SSL for incoming e-mail

Require SSL for outgoing e-mail

After doing so, more categories appear and have to be filled in:

OUTGOING (Smtp e-mail server [i put smtp.verizon.net:465]

Fill in OUTGOING SERVER USER NAME [ same as user name above]

OUTGOING SERVER PASSWORD [same as password used in PASSWORD]

Then went back and checked the 3 unchecked boxes and then hit SIGN IN

And.....still no mail .....!!!

I even tried the suggestions Kevin-MSFT had if setup of MAIL for OUTLOOK did not work and there were:

Go to login.aol.com/account/security and log in with your Verizon [AOL] E-Mail account and password

Click on ACCOUNT SECURITY, then click on GENERATE APP PASSWORD

From the select your app drop down menu under the app passwords window select OUTLOOK [for Outlook] and fill in

Windows 11 E Mail [for that mail app]

Then click GENERATE [password] and copy that password

Go back to CHANGE ACCOUNT SETTINGS and paste generated password [for whichever mail app it was generated for]

Hit CONNECT

Suffice it to say that hasn't worked either in Windows 11

Am i formatting/imputting the info or settings wrong or are there some extra steps i am missing?

Any help anyone can give regarding this in Windows 11 would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time!

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-01-31T13:46:23+00:00

    Turns out I needed an AOL app password. I had a Windows App password that suddenly stopped working.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-01-31T13:47:52+00:00

    Thanks

    I had been using a Windows App password (for years), which stopped, and didn't know there was an AOL App password. Works now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-02T00:06:15+00:00

    I feel like I wrote this message myself. Where can we find help?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-02T01:31:01+00:00

    My verizon/aol email was going fine in outlook. And then I tried to clean up some files, and I can't get it to work again. My sister installed Office on her new laptop and still has yet to get Outlook to work with her verizon/aol email. I have uninstalled MS Office 365 3 times and reinstalled Outlook. I have tried pop and imap. I purged registers using a script from another site with the same problem. I reloaded the programs again after that. When I bring up Outlook for the first time, I still leads with my #******@verizon.net. What you say about passwords makes no sense. I just read a post that someone reported the and MS update is to blame, but no confirmation. I did the same work on manually setting things on her new computer and the same thing. No pop or imap settings will work with the same password that I log into my email with AOL. I have double tripled and quadrupled checked every letter, period, number and box settings with various combinations and the results are the same. "something went wrong" NO **** something went wrong, but how about a hint as to were to find the problem. Is it a register setting? Is Outlook pulling information from my Office 365 account to start the process and screwing up the settings?

    The POP and IMAP directions DO NOT FIX THIS ISSUE. GET IT? There is something else going on, and nobody seems to give a **** about it.

    Oh, and there in no place to request a password for mail apps when I log in to my AOL mail account. What is that about?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-02T02:07:50+00:00

    Old Verizon.net email address via AOL.com - Accessing through O365 on - Microsoft Community

    This is a link that answers all this mess, but I put in a simpler way below so I could follow it easier.

    Log on to AOL

    Go to Mail

    Select Options on the right

    Select Account information on the right

    Select Security information on the left

    Scroll down 5 items to "Other ways to sign in"

    Follow this to generate a 16 digit one time password

    Enter Outlook when it asks for what app you want it for

    Go to Outlook and go to advanced settings, change manually for IMAP

    Incoming: imap.aol.com port 993 and use SSL and check box to use password to access server

    Outgoing: smtp.aol.com port 445 and use SSL

    Hit Next and enter the one time password the first time, and then do not change the password if it asks for it another.

    Worked for me, and thank you whoever first put this in regular english so I could understand it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments