What is SearchApp.exe , is it a virus ??

Anonymous
2021-12-30T08:12:59+00:00

For some time I feel like my computer is running slow even though it has 8gb of ram. Then I checked my resource monitor and saw SearchApp.exe at using 44 threads and my CPU usage was already at 52%. Please help me out !!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-02-19T06:26:42+00:00

I have 128GB RAM and suddenly I am out or RAM, and it is the SearchApp that took 122GB or RAM. Hey, MSFT, fix that bug!

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-02-19T17:16:16+00:00

This SearchApp.exe is literally making my other apps crash because of the amount of resources it is using... How about what ever the heck you all did to this... roll it back...

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-03-18T18:05:01+00:00

    Hello Dave,

    I see that you explained how to fix the problem, but could you explain it in more detail for people who are not as experienced with fixing computer issues? I don't really know what an Indexing utility is - although I would guess based on what you said that it has to do with searching through files. But I definitely don't know how to open the "Indexing utility in Windows" that you refer to. Basically, can you explain this solution step by step please?

    Additionally, but not necessary, could you tell us a little bit about what this process is? I suspended it using the task manager. Does this mean that other things won't work - perhaps things to do with the file explorer?

    Also, why is it taking up so much memory? I wasn't searching for files or anything. I was using my computer the same way I normally do. But this wasn't an issue before. And I don't know if this is useful information, but this computer is brand new. I just got it in December. I don't have a whole lot of files saved yet. I have some games installed, but otherwise, the computer is pretty clean of clutter since it's basically brand new.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-07T00:19:47+00:00

    You can block its inbound and outbound connections via windows firewall. Google it

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-23T14:06:13+00:00

    My Webroot showed that there may be a security issue with SearchApp.exe. When I checked in Task Mgr., I have no flux but do have Search. My search still has a green leaf with means UWP app stopped or suspends this search until needed to keep it from taking over too much power. I think Microsoft should look into why the UWP isn't working for search in the systems using up far too much power.

    I also get the same security issue with IE.exe which I NEVER use.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments