What is SearchApp.exe , is it a virus ??

Anonymous
2021-12-30T08:12:59+00:00

For some time I feel like my computer is running slow even though it has 8gb of ram. Then I checked my resource monitor and saw SearchApp.exe at using 44 threads and my CPU usage was already at 52%. Please help me out !!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-02-19T06:26:42+00:00

I have 128GB RAM and suddenly I am out or RAM, and it is the SearchApp that took 122GB or RAM. Hey, MSFT, fix that bug!

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-02-19T17:16:16+00:00

This SearchApp.exe is literally making my other apps crash because of the amount of resources it is using... How about what ever the heck you all did to this... roll it back...

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-01-19T18:44:46+00:00

    WHEN I LOOK AT SEARCHAPP IN TCPView, I NOTICE THE PROCESS GETS ROUTED TO VERIZON BUSINESS COMMUNICATIONS. MOST RECENTLY, THE REDIRECT WAS 72.21.81.200. HOW COULD THAT NOT BE A VIRUS?

    Was this answer helpful?

    70+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-21T10:05:02+00:00

    Hello,

    I faced the same problem with Search app, my computer was not in demand and my CPU and RAM started to be used abnormally in an instant.

    So I opened task manager to check what was the process that was using my CPU and 32 GB of RAM and the culprit was Search app (Flux => topicality and field of interest).

    Here is what I did to solve my problem with Search app:

    1- Open the task manager

    2- Develop the Flux application

    3- Right click on Search

    4- Choose End of task

    5- Right click on the taskbar

    6- Choose news and field of interest

    7- Choose Disabled

    8- Do a full scan of your PC with Microsoft Defender Antivirus

    9- Restarting the PC

    Now I no longer have news and weather, but I no longer have a problem with Search app, my PC is very stable.

    That does not bother me.

    Search app is broken and uses all CPU/RAM resource without limit.

    I hope this can help some people who have a problem with Search app, while waiting for the application to be fixed by Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    60+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. DaveM121 936.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2021-12-30T08:47:18+00:00

    Hi Aashu

    I am Dave, I will help you with this.

    Rest assured, SearchApp.exe is not malware, it is the component in Windows 10 that manages searches in Windows, like form Cortana or your Start Menu.

    That process may be in a loop, the best option is to open the Indexing utility in Windows, delete the current search Index, then select which folders you would like Windows 10 index for searches, for example there is no point in setting that to the whole C drive, because that will contain hundreds of thousands of System files, that will take a longtime to index and search.

    Please Note after deleting the old Index, it will take a bit of time to create the new index.

    Was this answer helpful?

    50+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments