How to install Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 11

Anonymous
2022-05-06T16:06:34+00:00

I upgraded to Windows 11 from Windows 10 with much regret because to my dismay it doesn’t have Windows photo viewer; when I open a picture folder and use the slideshow, it doesn't go through all the pics in the folder; , it will show maybe 20 or 30 pics in a loop and that's it; it will not show all the rest of the pictures. This is very annoying. Is there a way to set it to show all the pictures in a loop? I’ve tried adding Windows Photo Viewer to the list of (Open With) by searching tutorials but I haven’t been successful.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-07-28T13:57:33+00:00

Hi All,

I am an IT engineer, and I use to help others to do thing better and simple.

Well, in fact, Windows Photo Viewer is available on all Windows 10 including 21H2 and on Windows 11, too. The main problem, that it is hidden, and cannot be chosen from Open With context menu.

To achieve this I would recommend to read the following article. It is really nice and a good way to get the WPV back on your Windows whichever version you had.

After you do as per instruction below, click on the photo. You will see a pop-up window to choose what app to open the photo with. And voila, you will see WPV among others apps.

I hope this will help to save pretty much time while looking through your photos.

https://www.kapilarya.com/restore-windows-photo-viewer-in-windows-11

Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2022-07-28T14:26:52+00:00

Addendum: If you want to add Windows Photo Viewer to Default Apps (as well as "Open With.." dialog/menu), this registry edit will do that automatically.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

55 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-06-03T05:19:28+00:00

    Hi All, I have Windows 11 and no Windows Photo Viewer. However in one folder of my photos I have Windows Photo Viewer. This so ridiculous. Also I do not believe I should to go through so many loops to get it. GET YOUR SHELVES TOGETHER MICROSOFT AND PROVIDE A FREE UPGRADE FOR ALL WINDOWS II. I have been advised a long time ago, that if you say something in CAPS you are shouting. Well Windows I am yelling at you. will Windows listen, I doubt it? I believe they are simply, too big.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-02-09T12:54:58+00:00

    You can register it per-user; no need for admin privileges. The trick is to replace HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE with HKEY_CURRENT_USER in the REG file here How to Restore Windows Photo Viewer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-23T08:18:47+00:00

    Took me to an inactive image - can't download the app. I must be dumb?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments