Windows 10 Update KB5012599 Failed to Install - Error Code: 0x800f0831

Anonymous
2022-04-15T15:33:10+00:00

KB5012599 downloads 100%, then after a period of inactivity it pauses at Installing 20% for an extended period of time, after which it shows that it has installed 100%, but about a minute after that it generates the 0x800f0831 error with matching failure to install message.

I have spent the last 2 hours trying to fix this problem, including running the Windows Update Trouble Shooter plus a host of other suggestions, but nothing works.

Never had any issues with Windows 10 updates till now.

I don't know what to do.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-05-12T14:58:14+00:00

    I hope this "fix" is not another lemon.

    A Windows update that turns into a full OS re-install sux more than a deep space vacuum!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-05-12T14:09:09+00:00

    Where does digitalmozart state he needs this fix for 1600+machines???

    Microsoft to release fix for 'code defect' in KB5012599 update for Windows 10 (betanews.com)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-05-12T13:58:04+00:00

    That's your advice for 1,668 corporate remote machines?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-05-12T13:48:49+00:00

    Uninstall 21H2, restart computer - go here - Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com) Click "Update Now" Open Download File - follow instructions to get the latest Windows 10.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-05-12T12:29:23+00:00

    Didn't work for me though. Same issue as with the Apr update. Even the standalone update from Windows Update Catalog didn't work. In-Place update gave the 0xC1900101 – 0x30017 first boot error. I hope I don't have to do a clean install.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments