MS MCT ISO 22621.382, fails to upgrade from 22000.1042

Anonymous
2022-09-23T23:57:40+00:00

On 9/23/2022 I tried upgrading from 22000.1042 with ISO 22621.382 and got the message on the bottom screenshot.

What is weird is that the same exact process worked fine on Sept 21st. 2022.

I already have a working backup copy of the system that was upgraded on Sept 21st. ����

What is changed in the last 2 days? What is it complaining about? There is no explanation showing on the learn more link.

Windows 11, version 22H2 known issues and notifications | Microsoft Learn

Here is my FBH report link: https://aka.ms/AAi6ab9

This is a Dell XPS 8940.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-09-24T01:01:57+00:00

    This is the same PC that was upgraded from 22000.1042 to 22621.521 exactly with the same process on Sept 21st without problem.

    What did MS change to prevent from upgrading the same box 2 days later? 🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐

    Image

    Edition Windows 11 Pro

    Version 22H2

    Installed on ‎9/‎21/‎2022

    OS build 22621.521

    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22634.1000.0

    And it lets me do an update/repair in place using the exact same ISO 22621.382 on this same box that was upgraded Sept 21st. 🤣

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-09-24T01:47:21+00:00

    I tried again, attempting to isolate where the change is coming from.

    I restored 22000.1042 and did the upgrade with MCT ISO 22621.382, but this time I left the network disconnected and upgraded offline, without letting it check for any updates or anything else on the internet.

    The upgrade proceeded without any weird message and got to Build 22621.382.

    After that I had to install kb5017321 to get it up to 22621.521. 🤷‍♂️

    Clearly in the last 2 days they added some extra check that is done from the update server if I'm connected to the network.

    If the network is connected, I get the same message regardless of the way I start the setup to let it check for updates or not.

    Either way it checks something from the internet that causes the message below to be issued. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

    Thanks a lot for the confusion! 🤐🤐

    If I disconnect the network, I can bypass whatever extra check they added in the last 2 days. 🤣🤣

    Image

    After completing the upgrade to 22621.382 I reconnected the network and W.U. showed up these:

    Image

    After that, the original W.U. loop bug with error 0x800f0806 from Sept 20 showed up again. I had to use one of the work-around methods to get over the bug. 🤷‍♂️

    Image

    Image

    This time I decided to use this other suggested solution and it worked, these 2 commands in the sequence showed:

    DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /STARTCOMPONENTCLEANUP

    DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /STARTCOMPONENTCLEANUP /RESETBASE

    Image

    Finally, W.U. could install KB5017321 successfully. 👌

    Image

    Image

    Done:

    Edition Windows 11 Pro

    Version 22H2

    Installed on ‎9/‎23/‎2022

    OS build 22621.521

    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22634.1000.0

    Clearly, they are not ready for prime time yet. 🤷‍♂️

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-09-24T03:52:13+00:00

    HI fg. I'm Greg, 10 years awarded Windows MVP, here to help you.

    It's possible the model was gated after overnight telemetry flagged issues. What was the reason you wanted to do a Repair Upgrade 2 days later? Are you having issues?

    Try downloading the ISO, double click to mount as a drive, right click Setup to Run as Administrator. This can avoid gating by the Upgrade Assistant which has been buggy in the past.

    If you want to cross check to confirm the hardware has not lost compatibility you can run PC Health Check which developers tell us is the final word on that:

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows...

    Report back results for each step so I know what else to suggest.

    Feel free to ask back any questions. Based on the results you post back I may have other suggestions if necessary.

    ______________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-09-24T04:28:12+00:00

    @Greg Carmack,

    I'm not having any issues, just trying to debug the problems that many users are reporting since they released 22H2 to the public.

    I upgraded 4 machines on Sept 21, 2022, now the same process is no longer working 2 days later. 🤣🤣

    What are they doing?

    This specific machine has been working fine with 22H2 for several months on R.P. and Beta 22621 and 22622.

    What is MS messing up now?

    Why this stupid message? It doesn't make any sense. 🤐🤐🤐

    Image

         Look at page one for the output of PC Health Check.  I guess you missed that. 🤣
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-09-24T04:38:45+00:00

    It could be a bug, or the hardware could have become gated as I've already explained. We see this a lot in new Window Edtions and Feature Updates.

    Is it still in an Insider channel? If so remember this is by nature unstable and only to be run on test machines, never on a PC you depend on. You probably already know this but I need to repeat it anyway for those who don't. So that right there would explain the bug.

    Be sure to report this bug to Insider Program using the Feedback Hub in Start Menu. While they will probably not see this here in the forums, but Microsoft developers DO read feedback from customers that comes in via the Feedback Hub.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments