MS MCT ISO 22621.382, fails to upgrade from 22000.1042

Anonymous
2022-09-23T23:57:40+00:00

On 9/23/2022 I tried upgrading from 22000.1042 with ISO 22621.382 and got the message on the bottom screenshot.

What is weird is that the same exact process worked fine on Sept 21st. 2022.

I already have a working backup copy of the system that was upgraded on Sept 21st. ����

What is changed in the last 2 days? What is it complaining about? There is no explanation showing on the learn more link.

Windows 11, version 22H2 known issues and notifications | Microsoft Learn

Here is my FBH report link: https://aka.ms/AAi6ab9

This is a Dell XPS 8940.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-09-24T09:03:47+00:00

    After all this testing, did you ever see a log or anything else that told you exactly why the system is being blocked? I have not seen that message on any of my systems, although I do have one which has not yet been offered the update and no message as to not being capable.

    When you did the second upgrade, did you start with a clean drive or could something been left on the system from the previous install?

    The online upgrade does download packages for both the .382 and .521 versions, so being offline may not be the best way to go. It appears the in-place upgrade does not download the .521 update package, but I get that from your and other's comments.

    One change might be, that the problems with the .521 update, Microsoft may have taken some steps to wait until that situation has been worked out. If I haven't seen the upgrade offered to my second machine by next Tuesday, I will try the .iso upgrade path.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-09-24T08:07:29+00:00

    @fg2001

    A hardware block for a Windows upgrade does not automatically mean that it has to be the computer itself.

    Like in this example:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-update-to-windows-11-version-2022-22h2/b1fda37d-3a10-4bdc-8d56-c6656a14124f?messageId=230bc95a-33d4-4033-9dd4-38c6ecbeee45 

    The Upgrade block was activated by Microsoft on 09/22/2022.

    This does not mean that you have to have the same block on your device.

    There are currently other causes blocking the upgrade too.

    The reasons for a blockage must be determined on each computer itself, so one cannot say in general that, for example, a printer with an IPP class driver is always the cause.

    Greetings

    4 computers were upgrading fine on Sept 21, now 2 days later they can no longer do the same upgrade from 21H2 to 22H2 using the same MS ISO file and get that stupid message.

    Yet I can work around the block if I disconnect from the network. 🤣🤣

    It doesn't make any sense. 🤐

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. TekkieBoy 12,556 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-09-24T07:55:24+00:00

    @fg2001

    A hardware block for a Windows upgrade does not automatically mean that it has to be the computer itself.

    Like in this example:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-update-to-windows-11-version-2022-22h2/b1fda37d-3a10-4bdc-8d56-c6656a14124f?messageId=230bc95a-33d4-4033-9dd4-38c6ecbeee45 

    The Upgrade block was activated by Microsoft on 09/22/2022.

    This does not mean that you have to have the same block on your device.

    There are currently other causes blocking the upgrade too.

    The reasons for a blockage must be determined on each computer itself, so one cannot say in general that, for example, a printer with an IPP class driver is always the cause.

    Greetings

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-09-24T05:17:00+00:00

    Then I've done everything I can do about this. Actually more, since no one else would have taken the time to explain it as fully as I did for you.

    Let me know if I can help further. I'll stay subscribed to this thread in case you need anything else, until the system locks it in a few months.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-09-24T04:57:03+00:00

    Greg,

    I've already reported the problem on FBH.

    Thanks anyway.

    https://aka.ms/AAi6ab9

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments