MS MCT ISO 22621.382, fails to upgrade from 22000.1042

Anonymous
2022-09-23T23:57:40+00:00

On 9/23/2022 I tried upgrading from 22000.1042 with ISO 22621.382 and got the message on the bottom screenshot.

What is weird is that the same exact process worked fine on Sept 21st. 2022.

I already have a working backup copy of the system that was upgraded on Sept 21st. ����

What is changed in the last 2 days? What is it complaining about? There is no explanation showing on the learn more link.

Windows 11, version 22H2 known issues and notifications | Microsoft Learn

Here is my FBH report link: https://aka.ms/AAi6ab9

This is a Dell XPS 8940.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-09-25T02:47:34+00:00

    Hi Johnny,

    Even a bigger mystery about what causes MS to generate this silly message on a fully compliant box:

    I just did an upgrade with the same ISO, while online, from 19044.2075 to 22621.521 on an old Legacy BIOS laptop. (Red zone machine)

    It just came up fine right at 22621.521 directly, without even doing the intermediate step to 22621.382.

    KB5017321 was added during the upgrade process automatically, the same way they did starting on Sept 21, 2022.

    Go figure!

    I will never know what check they added that blocks the same upgrade that was fine 2 days earlier, on a fully compliant box that never had any issues before yesterday and had been running 22H2 for months without problems. 🤷‍♂️

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-09-24T23:14:52+00:00

    Guess I will never see that concern. I always install offline during clean installs, upgrades via ISO, etc. Why let MS mess around with the install.

    Regards,

    The problem did not affect clean install, it was an upgrade from 21H2 to 22H2.

    Even changing the setup to not check for updates, just being connected to the network was enough to generate that message.

    As a workaround I just disconnected the cable so that they could not do any check from the internet. 🤷‍♂️

    I still cannot figure out what they don't like in this machine. It has been working for months with 22H2 that was previously upgraded from 21H2.

    It still works fine now with public 22H2 22621.521 after bypassing the silly block, nothing was changed from previous configuration and the installed program are all the same as before. 🤣🤣

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Johnny55 5,155 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-09-24T22:54:42+00:00

    Guess I will never see that concern. I always install offline during clean installs, upgrades via ISO, etc. Why let MS mess around with the install.

    Regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-09-24T18:48:51+00:00

    Upgrade went through very fast from 22000 to 22621.382

    This was on a compliant vm done offline.

    Regards,

    Offline, with no network connected works fine for me too on a real box from 22000.1042 to 22621.382 looks like yours no problem.

    The problem occurs only when connected to the internet.

    Edit:

    Also, they seem to have fixed today 9/24/2022 error 0x800f0806 for kb5017321 with W.U. 🤷‍♂️

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Johnny55 5,155 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-09-24T18:39:20+00:00

    Upgrade went through very fast from 22000 to 22621.382

    This was on a compliant vm done offline.

    Regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments