Computer is slow after Windows 11 22H2 update

Anonymous
2022-09-22T01:06:34+00:00

Hi~

I installed the new Windows 11 update (22H2?) this morning and suddenly my computer is running super slowly. Any browser I use is slow, and videos take very long to load. And many programs and even file explorer suddenly freeze for several moments. My wifi also randomly stopped for a few seconds.

My laptop was running just fine until today's update and now it's frustratingly slow and glitchy. Any suggestions? Or is it possible to uninstall the update?

Thanks!

  • aj
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-10-09T20:45:33+00:00

    I have reverted back and have had no problem since. Look up how to prevent it from automatically updating you to the next build.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-10T22:48:52+00:00

    I wanted to reply that I was having a very similar issue as the OP. Though it isn't a constant slow-down. Just an occasional one. But it does truly make everything feel unresponsive and like I'm using an old netbook or something. I was playing a game in which I usually get 60+fps, but during this slowdown, it goes down to 1-5 fps. Even when the game is closed, everything is just slow an unresponsive. Also the "System" process in the Task Manager list also shoots up to be a significantly high usage. Even then, I was only using 60% of my processor during this slowdown period, so it's not like it was struggling at 100% usage or something like that.

    But this problem is intermittent for me. The most recent one lasted about 10 or so minutes? Though, other times have lasted longer. It's what prompted me to seek out some answers. Coming here, I wanted to help explain my experience. I've had this slowdown happen a few times now over the course of the last week or so that I've had the update installed.

    After reading this article here: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/09/geforce-gpus-are-slowing-down-after-installing-the-windows-11-2022-update/

    I'm going to see if updating my GPU drivers and the GeForce Experience software does help the situation.

    So if you're using a Nvidia GPU, the above link might offer a helpful solution. I'd be more curious who is not using an Nvidia card that is also having this slowdown issue.

    EDIT (10/14/2022): So far, I updated my GeForce drivers and other related software and haven't had the problem come up again. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it remains that way moving forward.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-10T23:00:49+00:00

    Mine is a global slowdown. Reverted and no issues. Used group policy editor to prevent new build updates. Please post if you fully solve your slowdowns.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-10-13T07:44:49+00:00

    Ya same problem, and it's globally slow/lagging.

    Even just opening up WINRAR takes 10-20 seconds, that is typically an insta open scenario.

    There are dozens of other examples I could use here but just 1 more would be simply exploring around in file explorer, on first click to open it 10-20 seconds simply to display drives.

    I'd rather not remove the update, that's not a fix to me. I'll give the nvidia stuff a try like the others but somehow it just doesn't seem related. Neither does that MVP #2 response.

    The other MVP posting in his free time about it being explorer related though, that makes perfect sense.

    Just wish he had a fix for it lol

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more