Computer is slow after Windows 11 22H2 update

Anonymous
2022-09-22T01:06:34+00:00

Hi~

I installed the new Windows 11 update (22H2?) this morning and suddenly my computer is running super slowly. Any browser I use is slow, and videos take very long to load. And many programs and even file explorer suddenly freeze for several moments. My wifi also randomly stopped for a few seconds.

My laptop was running just fine until today's update and now it's frustratingly slow and glitchy. Any suggestions? Or is it possible to uninstall the update?

Thanks!

  • aj
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-10-10T22:48:52+00:00

    I wanted to reply that I was having a very similar issue as the OP. Though it isn't a constant slow-down. Just an occasional one. But it does truly make everything feel unresponsive and like I'm using an old netbook or something. I was playing a game in which I usually get 60+fps, but during this slowdown, it goes down to 1-5 fps. Even when the game is closed, everything is just slow an unresponsive. Also the "System" process in the Task Manager list also shoots up to be a significantly high usage. Even then, I was only using 60% of my processor during this slowdown period, so it's not like it was struggling at 100% usage or something like that.

    But this problem is intermittent for me. The most recent one lasted about 10 or so minutes? Though, other times have lasted longer. It's what prompted me to seek out some answers. Coming here, I wanted to help explain my experience. I've had this slowdown happen a few times now over the course of the last week or so that I've had the update installed.

    After reading this article here: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/09/geforce-gpus-are-slowing-down-after-installing-the-windows-11-2022-update/

    I'm going to see if updating my GPU drivers and the GeForce Experience software does help the situation.

    So if you're using a Nvidia GPU, the above link might offer a helpful solution. I'd be more curious who is not using an Nvidia card that is also having this slowdown issue.

    EDIT (10/14/2022): So far, I updated my GeForce drivers and other related software and haven't had the problem come up again. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it remains that way moving forward.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-09T20:45:33+00:00

    I have reverted back and have had no problem since. Look up how to prevent it from automatically updating you to the next build.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-09T19:49:04+00:00

    Hello,
    I never complained about any update slowing my computer down but I know it is this 22H2 update. I don't know what specially, but when I go back to 21H2, I get my performance back.

    So here is a screenshot of my HP laptop at work: Spectre X360 2020 I7 1065G7

    This CPU boosts @ 3.9Ghz one core and 3.5Ghz all cores.

    Also set to "gaming" and "performance power mode" in Windows;

    At 100% usage the CPU starts rendering @ 3.5Ghz then slowers -0.6Ghz after 5~10 seconds of stress. That is at least what is happening to my CPU... SINCE THE UPDATE!

    I allready tried everything I could, the problem doesn't come from a user error.
    I took pictures after 2 full reset/reinstalled Windows.. 22H2 two times; It is happening all the time (reproducible)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-10-04T02:04:56+00:00

    Happened to me as well. Especially file explorer, but only sometimes slow on my work PC and laptop. As long as still usable is fine

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-10-03T22:41:57+00:00

    Thanks for the suggestions.

    Gonna give that a try.

    As for the Windows update - I went ahead and reverted to the older version. Problems instantly solved.

    I'll have to look into the other fixes before I decide to reinstall the update. I'm sure the newer version has benefits, but all the problems that came with it were a pain.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments