Cant uninstall McAffee Security scan plus from Windows 10. Inside the Uninstall App page, buttons greyed out

Anonymous
2022-09-17T15:10:45+00:00

I needed to install Adobe Viewer fast. Afterwards find it installed McAffee. popups, new network detected? no, it hasnt changed for years. McAfee is trash and is now locked on my PC like some parasite. its installed and will not be removed. There were 2, the other one "uninstalled", this one has grayed out keys.

Search online? they want you to run McAfees own removal tool? Sure, so that tool does what exactly? installs malware that stays silent. keyboard listener, etc

Search Microsoft only? volunteer moderators saying use McAfee tool, maybe they work for McAfee

Is there any real actual way to literally remove this malware? calling itself McAfee security scan?

Or then after saying all that I want to fully reinstall windows, because its unlikely anyone will know the answer, so in this modern Windows 10 world is there a fast way to remove windows, 0 the drive, new partition, new windows?

anyone know the answer to this?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-12-05T16:46:31+00:00

There's an executable uninstaller in the McAfee folder at (Programs(X86)/McAfee. That worked for me when the Windows Control panel wouldn't allow it. Use admin privileges. Where does it ever end with the marketers making it easy to get into trials and as difficult as possible to get out of them?

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-03-20T16:52:10+00:00

    I didn't have to go into the registry, just uninstalled through Control Panel (after unsuccessfully trying to uninstall through App removal):

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uninstall-or-remove-apps-and-programs-in-windows-4b55f974-2cc6-2d2b-d092-5905080eaf98

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-03-07T18:27:55+00:00

    I used the uninstaller in C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee Security Scan

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-03-06T00:17:33+00:00

    The link above is not connected to any specific article.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-03-05T01:25:19+00:00

    Yes, thats my point. I went into the registry to remove it manually but I was an ace on win for workgroups 3.11 and most all since;

    The news stories of that McAfee guy were strange, but as a general concept if a program refuses to be uninstalled, I mean, that makes it hostile to the community, seems like it has to be a violation.

    One of the folks I supported for years would call concerned that the various Mcaffee popups would say protection expired! hackers have your bank accounts and are emptying them out, unless you update now. And for this, when the pc did not have Mcaffee at all? Is hostile.

    Others have said they use the tool from Mcaffee to remove it, but the problem is how could they be trusted?? I went thru the time of extreme malware 20 years ago, people used to go to CNET as they had thousands of add in programs? Most had installers for bots that would load viruses. Programs that told you they were legit, turned out they were malware. Turned out CNET was in on it, frauds. Their old tv show was a fraud.

    Alot of time wasted back then.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments