Cant uninstall McAffee Security scan plus from Windows 10. Inside the Uninstall App page, buttons greyed out

Anonymous
2022-09-17T15:10:45+00:00

I needed to install Adobe Viewer fast. Afterwards find it installed McAffee. popups, new network detected? no, it hasnt changed for years. McAfee is trash and is now locked on my PC like some parasite. its installed and will not be removed. There were 2, the other one "uninstalled", this one has grayed out keys.

Search online? they want you to run McAfees own removal tool? Sure, so that tool does what exactly? installs malware that stays silent. keyboard listener, etc

Search Microsoft only? volunteer moderators saying use McAfee tool, maybe they work for McAfee

Is there any real actual way to literally remove this malware? calling itself McAfee security scan?

Or then after saying all that I want to fully reinstall windows, because its unlikely anyone will know the answer, so in this modern Windows 10 world is there a fast way to remove windows, 0 the drive, new partition, new windows?

anyone know the answer to this?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-12-05T16:46:31+00:00

There's an executable uninstaller in the McAfee folder at (Programs(X86)/McAfee. That worked for me when the Windows Control panel wouldn't allow it. Use admin privileges. Where does it ever end with the marketers making it easy to get into trials and as difficult as possible to get out of them?

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-06-07T06:41:29+00:00

    On my end, I'm able to click on Uninstall in the App page but I get a pop-up that seems intentionally undersized , un-resizable, and if you click on it, you're taken to an offer page. If you close the window, you're back where you started. Clicking in the Uninstall executable in the program folder produces the same result. I don't know how to get rid of it. Image

    Press TAB and then SPACEBAR on your keyboard to press the "Uninstall" button, which is not visible on the screen.

    Or, try Method 3 on this page to uninstall the product manually via the registry. How to Uninstall McAfee Security Scan Plus

    McAfee Security Scan Plus adds a service and some scheduled tasks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-02-08T20:03:08+00:00

    On my end, I'm able to click on Uninstall in the App page but I get a pop-up that seems intentionally undersized , un-resizable, and if you click on it, you're taken to an offer page. If you close the window, you're back where you started. Clicking in the Uninstall executable in the program folder produces the same result. I don't know how to get rid of it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-01-03T01:31:20+00:00

    It just seems that if McAfee hijacks the windows machine, then running their uninstaller should have zero trust.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-09-17T15:58:58+00:00

    Verizon:

    How to uninstall or reinstall Verizon Internet Security Suite using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe)

    *http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

    The following download is active as of 4 Nov, 2013, the document linked for -

    This tool comes from mcafee. So it cannot be trusted unless you have some way to certify that its been evaluated by Microsoft?

    That its not suggested but has been officially certified by Microsoft?

    Thank you for your very fast reply! I am encouraged by that, but if there is no official Microsoft certified software to remove this mcafee malware, then can you please advise on a full re install of windows 10?

    I had to purchase the windows 10 license for full price 2-3 years ago and its long gone. Is there some Windows install method that protects that install key? I had the full version of Win2000, WinNT, Win98 but none of those discs work, too scratched up.

    If there is no official Microsoft certified way to remove mcafee's malware then a full reinstall of windows is the only way, and I want the disc partition deleted, low level 0's, new partition new install. AS clearly the pc is corrupt otherwise. Hope my question makes sense??

    Thanks again

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments