HP laptop suddenly asked for bitlocker recovery key after updating on windows 11.

Reported
Anonymous
2022-08-31T21:45:58+00:00

I just updated my laptop and suddenly got a message that I need to enter a recovery key. However, I have never set up a BitLocker recovery key and I think it was enabled through the update which has now locked all of my data. I have a lot of coding that I have saved onto my local drive on the laptop and didn't know this could happen one day. What should I do? Is there any compensation I could get from this? I bought it from BestBuy a year ago.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-10-09T02:40:37+00:00

    Had the same issue, tried this and its back again without using any key. ✌️

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-09T05:19:19+00:00

    Hi Avtar, as Criag mentioned before me make sure you get the key using this method:

    https://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-get-bitlocker-recovery-key-from-command-line

    I simply emailed the key to myself so I never have to go through this bs again.

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-13T06:20:58+00:00

    Hi I have same problem with bitlocker key request  after update.

    After days of playing with with different settings  i manage to login without that key and without loosing data.

    My solution  for envy x360 :

    stage 1 In bios : boot options,  change secure boot to disable . save and exit bios

    stage 2 In bios : boot options,  change secure boot to enabled , clear all secure boot keys, load hp factory default  keys . save and exit .

    Start windows and wait bitlocker key request should not show any more. 

    log in  with your credential  disable bitlocker or save key on pen drive (not on hdd/sdd ). REPLY

    Hi! I tried this and I`m still back to the square 1 :( How does this work for anyone but me? I have no idea what else to do. Same envy x360

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T23:25:43+00:00

    Amazing!!! While I don’t have an Envy, I just ran into this issue on my HP Pavilion. It decided to shutdown and update during a test for school. I followed your solution (with a slight difference being a different computer) and was able to finally gain access! This saved me a lot of heartache.

    Now the issue I am running into…where do I find my recovery key now that I’m in my computer?!

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T23:45:34+00:00
    0 comments No comments