HP laptop suddenly asked for bitlocker recovery key after updating on windows 11.

Reported
Anonymous
2022-08-31T21:45:58+00:00

I just updated my laptop and suddenly got a message that I need to enter a recovery key. However, I have never set up a BitLocker recovery key and I think it was enabled through the update which has now locked all of my data. I have a lot of coding that I have saved onto my local drive on the laptop and didn't know this could happen one day. What should I do? Is there any compensation I could get from this? I bought it from BestBuy a year ago.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-11-13T17:53:25+00:00

    Hi,, i followed your guide... the stage 1 no problem...

    when trying to go to stage 2, as soon as i enable the secure boot, the option on Clear secure boot key, greys out, and cant do anything...

    if you put it disable you can clear all secure keys and then load hp factory keys... but doesnt work i that order....

    any ideas??

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-26T02:30:13+00:00

    Can you right click command prompt and select "run as administrator"?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-26T00:42:08+00:00

    I just tried this. It came up with an error message.

    “ERROR: An attempt to access a required resource was denied.

    Check that you have administrative rights on the computer.”

    However, I am the administrator…so I’m not sure what to do here. Ugh.

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T23:45:34+00:00
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T23:25:43+00:00

    Amazing!!! While I don’t have an Envy, I just ran into this issue on my HP Pavilion. It decided to shutdown and update during a test for school. I followed your solution (with a slight difference being a different computer) and was able to finally gain access! This saved me a lot of heartache.

    Now the issue I am running into…where do I find my recovery key now that I’m in my computer?!

    0 comments No comments