HP laptop suddenly asked for bitlocker recovery key after updating on windows 11.

Reported
Anonymous
2022-08-31T21:45:58+00:00

I just updated my laptop and suddenly got a message that I need to enter a recovery key. However, I have never set up a BitLocker recovery key and I think it was enabled through the update which has now locked all of my data. I have a lot of coding that I have saved onto my local drive on the laptop and didn't know this could happen one day. What should I do? Is there any compensation I could get from this? I bought it from BestBuy a year ago.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-04-24T19:19:22+00:00

    Please help understand how to do this? What is bios?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-04-19T12:20:55+00:00

    Having the same issue did you manage to resolve this?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-03-04T21:13:08+00:00

    My laptop computer is stuck on Bitlocker recovery key. Cannot type letters only numbers. Beginning to think that buying this computer was a mistake. What do I do?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-02-25T20:45:57+00:00

    I am not having the success that you had with the boot mode. Is there something special to be done? Thanks!

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-12-03T19:14:36+00:00

    I'm working on my sister's computer, and she got this error message. I'd never seen it before, and had been struggling for over an hour because her keyboard wouldn't work to enter the bitlocker password. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    I will now disable bitlocker on her computer, and make sure her operating system is completely up to date before I return it to her.

    0 comments No comments