HP laptop suddenly asked for bitlocker recovery key after updating on windows 11.

Reported
Anonymous
2022-08-31T21:45:58+00:00

I just updated my laptop and suddenly got a message that I need to enter a recovery key. However, I have never set up a BitLocker recovery key and I think it was enabled through the update which has now locked all of my data. I have a lot of coding that I have saved onto my local drive on the laptop and didn't know this could happen one day. What should I do? Is there any compensation I could get from this? I bought it from BestBuy a year ago.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-12T20:31:54+00:00

    Same question for me!

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-14T02:41:29+00:00

    It's been over two years since I did this fix. But if I recall correctly you need to reboot and go into "stage 2". Can you reboot and try to do step 2?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-14T02:18:51+00:00

    stage two doesn’t work for me!! They won’t let me click clear all secure keys once I’ve enable the secure boot. Do I need to change a different setting?? Please help this is happening to both mine and my sisters HP Envy x360 laptops!

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-01-14T02:16:00+00:00

    Me too did you get this solved?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-12-25T18:58:45+00:00

    Bitlocker key problem in Hp laptop windows 11

    0 comments No comments