HP laptop suddenly asked for bitlocker recovery key after updating on windows 11.

Reported
Anonymous
2022-08-31T21:45:58+00:00

I just updated my laptop and suddenly got a message that I need to enter a recovery key. However, I have never set up a BitLocker recovery key and I think it was enabled through the update which has now locked all of my data. I have a lot of coding that I have saved onto my local drive on the laptop and didn't know this could happen one day. What should I do? Is there any compensation I could get from this? I bought it from BestBuy a year ago.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-10-26T02:30:13+00:00

    Can you right click command prompt and select "run as administrator"?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T23:45:34+00:00
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T23:25:43+00:00

    Amazing!!! While I don’t have an Envy, I just ran into this issue on my HP Pavilion. It decided to shutdown and update during a test for school. I followed your solution (with a slight difference being a different computer) and was able to finally gain access! This saved me a lot of heartache.

    Now the issue I am running into…where do I find my recovery key now that I’m in my computer?!

    0 comments No comments
  4. Craig Long 18,640 Reputation points
    2022-09-18T18:55:24+00:00

    Dan, you saved me with your helpful guide. I can't thank you enough. I am away from home for an extended period of time and wouldn't be able to work without this laptop. I was going to have to buy another laptop today so I didn't lose a day of work.

    MICROSOFT GET YOUR S*** TOGETHER MAN THIS PROBLEM IS POSTED ABOUT ALL OVER THE INTERNET. WHAT YEAR IS THIS 1990??? THIS BS YOU PUT US THROUGH WITH EVERY OPERATING SYSTEM I HAD PTSD FLASHBACKS TO USING WINDOWS 98 AND THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!

    Find that key. The same thing could happen again. If you don't have a key then turn off Bitlocker.

    When you turn on Bitlocker again be sure and save that key.

    0 comments No comments
  5. Craig Long 18,640 Reputation points
    2022-09-07T08:39:30+00:00
    0 comments No comments