HP laptop suddenly asked for bitlocker recovery key after updating on windows 11.

Reported
Anonymous
2022-08-31T21:45:58+00:00

I just updated my laptop and suddenly got a message that I need to enter a recovery key. However, I have never set up a BitLocker recovery key and I think it was enabled through the update which has now locked all of my data. I have a lot of coding that I have saved onto my local drive on the laptop and didn't know this could happen one day. What should I do? Is there any compensation I could get from this? I bought it from BestBuy a year ago.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-10-04T08:43:49+00:00

    How do I get in stage 1 In bios?

    Thanks

    Hi I have same problem with bitlocker key request  after update.

    After days of playing with with different settings  i manage to login without that key and without loosing data.

    My solution  for envy x360 :

    stage 1 In bios : boot options,  change secure boot to disable . save and exit bios

    stage 2 In bios : boot options,  change secure boot to enabled , clear all secure boot keys, load hp factory default  keys . save and exit .

    Start windows and wait bitlocker key request should not show any more. 

    log in  with your credential  disable bitlocker or save key on pen drive (not on hdd/sdd ). REPLY

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-22T07:28:59+00:00

    I lost my bitlocker id

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-03-04T21:13:08+00:00

    My laptop computer is stuck on Bitlocker recovery key. Cannot type letters only numbers. Beginning to think that buying this computer was a mistake. What do I do?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Craig Long 18,640 Reputation points
    2022-09-07T00:20:46+00:00

    Hi I have same problem with bitlocker key request  after update.

    After days of playing with with different settings  i manage to login without that key and without loosing data.

    My solution  for envy x360 :

    stage 1 In bios : boot options,  change secure boot to disable . save and exit bios

    stage 2 In bios : boot options,  change secure boot to enabled , clear all secure boot keys, load hp factory default  keys . save and exit .

    Start windows and wait bitlocker key request should not show any more. 

    log in  with your credential  disable bitlocker or save key on pen drive (not on hdd/sdd ). REPLY

    Great. Turn off Bitlocker. Now when you turn Bitlocker back on you will be given the recovery key.

    0 comments No comments
  5. Craig Long 18,640 Reputation points
    2022-09-07T08:43:33+00:00

    Files on your computer's hard drive can be accessed without logging into your account. A thief could take out the hard drive and read your files.

    If your files are encrypted with Bitlocker then they cannot be read unless the proper credentials are entered to decrypt the drive.

    0 comments No comments