Black screen after installing Nvidia driver.

Anonymous
2022-09-27T22:50:49+00:00

I've been dealing with this for a few weeks now. Anytime I try to update my driver to a Nvidia driver the screen will go black. It'll make a noise when I click on my mouse like there's a pop up but obviously I can't see it. When you restart the computer it'll freeze on the loading logo. I've ran through a good bit of troubleshooting, reinstalled windows multiple times and even brought my pc to a shop to get the hardware checked. The couldn't find what the issue was and I haven't found anyone who might know. I have a 3090ti gpu, ryzen 9 processor, 1000 watt power supply, 64 ram and a tuf gamming plus wifi motherboard. It anyone knows how to fix this that would be great!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-11-17T04:11:15+00:00

    SOLUTION!!!

    I went directly to the Nvidia website (https://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx) and downloaded, did a clean installation and now I'm all set. Hope this works for you! Using the GeForce Experience app messed up my computer to the point where I'd have to use a USB drive to restore my computer every time. The app is garbage. Do it yourself, it works the same and has the same prompts, and is much faster this way.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-11-17T07:48:25+00:00

    Lucky you! Tried it today but unfortunately it didn't help. I'm on Windows 11 + 2080 Ti

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-11-17T11:18:31+00:00

    Lucky you! Tried it today but unfortunately it didn't help. I'm on Windows 11 + 2080 Ti

    I'm on Windows 10 Pro + 2080.

    Before I did the Nvidia installation I updated Windows, and then I updated my Intel drivers and motherboard drivers, and finally updated the Nvidia drivers. Windows os is the foundation of what everything else is built on (I think, not a tech specialist), so then going from the ground up and finishing off with the graphics is what I did. Maybe this helps? 🙏🏼

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-11-17T13:29:26+00:00

    I guess I tried everything without any luck already. The only driver that works for me is 517.48. Any newer kills my system.

    Here is a MiniDum: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cOyb3pViH3YX\_3i27aOycZwjVu-yApp\_/view?usp=share\_link

    EXCEPTION_RECORD: fffff38530fae2d8 -- (.exr 0xfffff38530fae2d8)

    ExceptionAddress: fffff80450e45e36 (nvlddmkm+0x0000000000825e36)

    ExceptionCode: c0000005 (Access violation)

    ExceptionFlags: 00000000

    NumberParameters: 2

    Parameter[0]: 0000000000000000

    Parameter[1]: 0000000000000078

    Attempt to read from address 0000000000000078

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-11-25T20:32:56+00:00

    Signed in to comment that my laptop with a 6700HQ and 1060 has the same issue on Win 10 and Win 11. Requires a full windows reinstall after installing newest Nvidia driver pack.

    But, I have 3 other systems in the house with Nvidia cards that install fine with it so it's definitely a hardware combination of some sort.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments