I've had the same issue since around May 2022 (so around 1 year), Most of the people are saying it could be a Realtek issue but I have Synaptics Audio. It is most definitely a core windows issue and It really is surprising that MS hasn't addressed this at all. It's nearly at the point where its physically uncomfortable to use my laptop because of the crackling/popping, hope this gets resolved soon, though i doubt it will.
Audio crackling/popping when I interact with Windows10
I recently started having an audio issue a few days ago, where when I have music playing (either on Spotify or Youtube) and I open the Windows Explorer to view files, open an application, hover over buttons or folders in the Explorer, or do anything on my computer, the audio sometimes pops and crackles, reacting to my mouse movements/actions. It also happens when I'm only listening to music and not moving my mouse. It will crackle maybe once every 2-3 minutes. I've gone through several websites and conducted steps to diagnose my problem, such as:
- updating my audio drivers (no new updates found)
- removing any sound effects on my playback device
- changing the default format on my playback device (tried most options)
- turning/replugging/cleaning/fiddling with the output jacks (I have a front and a rear 3.5mm jack and both of them crackle through my speakers and headphones)
- reviewing DPC latency/audio processing latency checks via LatencyMon (no issue, got the green light)
- reviewing overall CPU/memory/GPU usage (CPU and GPU are single digits and memory is around 30% because of browsers and other caches)
- moving any possible interfering tech out of the way (closest objects are my monitor and keyboard + mouse)
- "power drained" my computer (shut down, turn off PSU, unplugged everything, hold down power button for 20 seconds)
The only thing I can think of that changed with my computer is that I swapped out my graphics card (from a GTX 980 TI to RTX 2080) about a month before the crackling started. I didn't touch anything around the audio jack pin connectors and the PSU supports the increase in graphics processing power.
I'm out of ideas to try, so I'm hoping someone can give me some further advice.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2023-04-30T16:09:35+00:00 -
Anonymous
2023-04-16T11:35:50+00:00 I've had this same issue for weeks, as well. (except I'm one of those using Windows 11 with this issue)
I've tried everything I can think of, and everything suggested for this type of issue. When I opened a support ticket with Microsoft they said they'd call me back and then simply closed the ticket, saying it's probably the audio device manufacturer's fault. Support for the audio device, and for the motherboard both say it's probably Windows. Nobody does any actual diagnostics and just blames somebody else. This is all very frustrating.
-
Anonymous
2023-03-22T13:03:26+00:00 Hi, I have encountered this same problem on my machine a couple of days ago. In my case the sound started crackling after I installed ubuntu on another drive. I recall when finished installing ubuntu I tried to get back to windows, so I changed the boot option to the windows drive, and while waiting for windows to start, it crashed and basically I had to force reboot three/four times before it worked again. And now I'm facing the crackling audio, which is extremely annoying. I hope it is fixable, because if it is a problem related or caused to those infinite reloads and those forced reboots I think this is beyond my experties
-
Anonymous
2023-03-09T08:08:40+00:00 Hey chirping in here, same issue, not been plagued as long as you guys but it is the most irritating BS ever. I want to throw my whole PC is a river.
-
Anonymous
2023-02-16T04:06:06+00:00 Aaaaand the problem is back. Knew I spoke too soon! :(
Was after computer came out of sleep. Going to reboot and see what happens.