Audio crackling/popping when I interact with Windows10

Anonymous
2022-07-11T23:53:44+00:00

I recently started having an audio issue a few days ago, where when I have music playing (either on Spotify or Youtube) and I open the Windows Explorer to view files, open an application, hover over buttons or folders in the Explorer, or do anything on my computer, the audio sometimes pops and crackles, reacting to my mouse movements/actions. It also happens when I'm only listening to music and not moving my mouse. It will crackle maybe once every 2-3 minutes. I've gone through several websites and conducted steps to diagnose my problem, such as:

  • updating my audio drivers (no new updates found)
  • removing any sound effects on my playback device
  • changing the default format on my playback device (tried most options)
  • turning/replugging/cleaning/fiddling with the output jacks (I have a front and a rear 3.5mm jack and both of them crackle through my speakers and headphones)
  • reviewing DPC latency/audio processing latency checks via LatencyMon (no issue, got the green light)
  • reviewing overall CPU/memory/GPU usage (CPU and GPU are single digits and memory is around 30% because of browsers and other caches)
  • moving any possible interfering tech out of the way (closest objects are my monitor and keyboard + mouse)
  • "power drained" my computer (shut down, turn off PSU, unplugged everything, hold down power button for 20 seconds)

The only thing I can think of that changed with my computer is that I swapped out my graphics card (from a GTX 980 TI to RTX 2080) about a month before the crackling started. I didn't touch anything around the audio jack pin connectors and the PSU supports the increase in graphics processing power.

I'm out of ideas to try, so I'm hoping someone can give me some further advice.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-03-22T13:03:26+00:00

    Hi, I have encountered this same problem on my machine a couple of days ago. In my case the sound started crackling after I installed ubuntu on another drive. I recall when finished installing ubuntu I tried to get back to windows, so I changed the boot option to the windows drive, and while waiting for windows to start, it crashed and basically I had to force reboot three/four times before it worked again. And now I'm facing the crackling audio, which is extremely annoying. I hope it is fixable, because if it is a problem related or caused to those infinite reloads and those forced reboots I think this is beyond my experties

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-02-16T04:06:06+00:00

    Aaaaand the problem is back. Knew I spoke too soon! :(

    Was after computer came out of sleep. Going to reboot and see what happens.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-02-15T13:40:39+00:00

    I've been suffering with popping/crackling audio for a few weeks now too, whenever I do anything in Windows 11. Have you found a solution yet at all?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-12-03T15:41:06+00:00

    have the same issue.

    My setup has run silk smooth since jan. 2022.

    Not sure wether it began when i installed asus dual OC 3060 TI

    or if there can be as simple as 1 connector that is a liuttle lose or anything HARDWARE related, as i just switched cabinet

    (all same components xept GPU)

    is there any solution????

    Summary

    	Operating System 
    
    		Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
    
    	CPU 
    
    		AMD K19 
    
    		AMD K19 
    
    		AMD K19 
    
    		AMD K19 
    
    		AMD K19 
    
    		AMD K19 
    
    		AMD K19 
    
    		AMD K19 
    
    		AMD K19 
    
    		AMD K19 
    
    		AMD K19 
    
    		AMD K19 
    
    		AMD K19 
    
    		AMD K19 
    
    		AMD K19 
    
    		AMD K19 
    
    	RAM 
    
    		40,0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 1199MHz (16-18-18-39) 
    
    	Motherboard 
    
    		ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF GAMING B550-PRO (AM4)	36 °C 
    
    	Graphics 
    
    		LC32G5xT (2560x1440@144Hz) 
    
    		4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc)	54 °C 
    
    	Storage 
    
    		3726GB Western Digital WDC WD40EZRZ-75GXCB0 (SATA )	27 °C 
    
    		1907GB Patriot P210 2TB (SATA (SSD))	23 °C 
    
    		465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000BEVT-22A0RT0 (SATA )	27 °C 
    
    		232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SATA (SSD))	28 °C 
    
    		1907GB Patriot P210 2048GB (SATA (SSD))	30 °C 
    
    		7452GB Seagate ST8000DM004-2U9188 (SATA )	36 °C 
    
    		3725GB Western Digital WD My Passport 25E2 USB Device (USB (SATA) (SSD))	27 °C 
    
    		7452GB Seagate Backup+ Hub BK SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA) )	41 °C 
    
    	Optical Drives 
    
    		No optical disk drives detected 
    
    	Audio 
    
    		NVIDIA High Definition Audio 
    

    Operating System

    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
    
    Computer type: Desktop 
    
    Installation Date: 22.01.2022 09:46:39 
    
    Serial Number: TY4CG-JDJH7-VJ2WF-DY4X9-HCFC6 
    
    	Windows Security Center 
    
    		User Account Control (UAC)	Enabled 
    
    		Notify level	1 - Rare Notify 
    
    	Windows Update 
    
    		AutoUpdate	Not configured 
    
    	Windows Defender 
    
    		Windows Defender	Disabled 
    
    	Firewall 
    
    		Firewall	Enabled 
    
    		Display Name	Bitdefender Firewall 
    
    	Antivirus 
    
    			Bitdefender Antivirus 
    
    				Antivirus	Enabled 
    
    				Virus Signature Database	Up to date 
    
    			Windows Defender 
    
    				Antivirus	Disabled 
    
    				Virus Signature Database	Up to date
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more