WINDOWS JULY 2022 KB5015807 CREATED DUPLICATE COPY OF PRINTER

Anonymous
2022-07-17T15:38:14+00:00

Right after the July 11th install of Windows Update KB501587 I could not print. My laptop and printer (connected USB to my laptop) serves as the "Host Printer" for 2 other laptops on my network. When I started to investigate I see there is a 'Copy 1' of the same printer. I picked 'Copy 1' and I could print, but the other laptops would not. So I mapped the other 2 laptops on the network to print with 'Copy 1'.

I have repeatedly set COPY 1 to the default. I do not have "let windows manage my printer' checked.

After days of trying to trouble shoot this, I see that this is an issue with Windows updates for years. The new update installed new printer softer and magically created another copy. That would be fine, but what is happening is that the original installation of my Dell is being defaulted to all the time. I can't print unless I manually go into settings and pick 'COPY 1'. Same of course with the other laptops. If I close the 'Settings' box, it then defaults all by itself to the original copy of the printer which does work any more.

In other words, I have one PRINTER ICON SHOWING, but a subfolder which was caused by the latest update. See screen shots. How do I solve the issue of the original printer settings becoming the default all the time. It doesn't print and neither then do my other laptops on the network. I want to keep COPY 1 of my Dell but get rid of the other phantom name of the same printer.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-07-25T14:28:58+00:00

    I'm hoping that will happen, a magical fix would be a wondrous thing.

    In reality, I'll probably get a black magical curse and the pc's will stop working.

    Funny, Microsoft call it a patch when they break something, but a virus when someone else does the same thing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-07-25T15:45:53+00:00

    Don't hold your breathe. If a 'fix' is released it won't be a fix. It will be a continuation of the issue just like they did with the Printer Nightmare that we went through. I still can't even think about how awful that was. I ended up have to change my registry in order to get everything to print right. By the way, there never was a 'fix' they released.

    I personally think it is a Microsoft plot to get us all to ditch Windows 10 and move onto Windows 11.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-07-26T10:44:33+00:00

    Where did you go in the registry?

    Would be very helpful if I could get the right usb's allocated

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-07-26T12:59:33+00:00

    The altering of the registry was to address the printer nightmare months ago. That was the first big printer issue that surfaced from an update. This newest update this July has no 'fix' yet that anyone has figured out. Only a workaround.

    For me I had to re-map all of my laptops that shared my host printer now with COPY 1 and a different USB port to the new configuration. You have to make sure that once you do that you set the default of COPY 1 as the new printer to direct to.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-07-26T16:03:48+00:00

    What I did in Win 11 (with the July update)

    I deleted the copy ( copy1) in the devices / printers

    I deleted the printer in the Device manager ( original printer)

    I powered off the printer

    I uninstalled the printer software and drivers

    I rebooted the PC

    I powered up the printer

    I reinstalled the drivers and software

    In this order. It removed the copy of the printer, and the printer became functional again and the copy is gone

    IMO: (explanation)

    Since I did not see the original printer in settings / Bluetooth devices / printers only (copy1). Yet PC was defaulting to the original. With that, the original printer was acknowledged in the Device Manager not (copy1). I assumed that is where the conflict resided. I think my assumptions are correct.

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments