WINDOWS JULY 2022 KB5015807 CREATED DUPLICATE COPY OF PRINTER

Anonymous
2022-07-17T15:38:14+00:00

Right after the July 11th install of Windows Update KB501587 I could not print. My laptop and printer (connected USB to my laptop) serves as the "Host Printer" for 2 other laptops on my network. When I started to investigate I see there is a 'Copy 1' of the same printer. I picked 'Copy 1' and I could print, but the other laptops would not. So I mapped the other 2 laptops on the network to print with 'Copy 1'.

I have repeatedly set COPY 1 to the default. I do not have "let windows manage my printer' checked.

After days of trying to trouble shoot this, I see that this is an issue with Windows updates for years. The new update installed new printer softer and magically created another copy. That would be fine, but what is happening is that the original installation of my Dell is being defaulted to all the time. I can't print unless I manually go into settings and pick 'COPY 1'. Same of course with the other laptops. If I close the 'Settings' box, it then defaults all by itself to the original copy of the printer which does work any more.

In other words, I have one PRINTER ICON SHOWING, but a subfolder which was caused by the latest update. See screen shots. How do I solve the issue of the original printer settings becoming the default all the time. It doesn't print and neither then do my other laptops on the network. I want to keep COPY 1 of my Dell but get rid of the other phantom name of the same printer.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-07-20T16:12:00+00:00

    All our custom written apps use Zebra label printers and have that printer selected to print labels. After the windows update the app can no longer find find the printer because the port is removed and given to the copied printer.

    First it was the VPN getting broken earlier this year now printers getting copied and ports moved without any reason. Security software tells you to keep updated but when that causes things to stop working then it makes you wonder if its worth it. This is certainly keeping desktop support very busy fixing all the things broken by windows updates!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-07-20T17:19:26+00:00

    Agree. I wouldn't even have installed it but it was mandatory and did it on it's own. You could only pause it for up to 30 days and then you had no choice.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-07-21T11:23:16+00:00

    Tried the Brother Printer today.

    Initially it worked.

    But as soon as it was shutdown/restarted a copy appeared.

    So it more seems to be with USB printers. Since Dell, Brother and Zebra printers are having the same issue

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-07-21T13:01:43+00:00

    You do see the copy 1 that was created? Can you post a screen shot?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-07-22T08:50:40+00:00

    We have deleted the other one by now.

    But the Brother copy was still there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments