WINDOWS JULY 2022 KB5015807 CREATED DUPLICATE COPY OF PRINTER

Anonymous
2022-07-17T15:38:14+00:00

Right after the July 11th install of Windows Update KB501587 I could not print. My laptop and printer (connected USB to my laptop) serves as the "Host Printer" for 2 other laptops on my network. When I started to investigate I see there is a 'Copy 1' of the same printer. I picked 'Copy 1' and I could print, but the other laptops would not. So I mapped the other 2 laptops on the network to print with 'Copy 1'.

I have repeatedly set COPY 1 to the default. I do not have "let windows manage my printer' checked.

After days of trying to trouble shoot this, I see that this is an issue with Windows updates for years. The new update installed new printer softer and magically created another copy. That would be fine, but what is happening is that the original installation of my Dell is being defaulted to all the time. I can't print unless I manually go into settings and pick 'COPY 1'. Same of course with the other laptops. If I close the 'Settings' box, it then defaults all by itself to the original copy of the printer which does work any more.

In other words, I have one PRINTER ICON SHOWING, but a subfolder which was caused by the latest update. See screen shots. How do I solve the issue of the original printer settings becoming the default all the time. It doesn't print and neither then do my other laptops on the network. I want to keep COPY 1 of my Dell but get rid of the other phantom name of the same printer.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-07-20T15:00:05+00:00

    Did you see 'copy 1' of your printer in the icons? Before the update, it was labeled correctly 'DELL 2335dn MFP'.

    This is what the update did. It created a 'copy' of the original Dell printer mapping on a port and then magically copy 1 appeared. Therefore all of my networking with my shared printer no longer existed.

    I had to map all of my devices to the port that Copy 1 was on in order to get them to print.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-07-20T15:09:44+00:00

    Hi,

    No copy before the update.

    Tried to manually change port, but it would simply not take. as soon as we clicked apply it changed back.

    trying to delete the port we get told it is not a "supported feature"

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-07-20T15:32:10+00:00

    What printer do you have? Were you connected via USB to your computer?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-07-20T15:38:15+00:00

    It is an Zebra 420D via USB

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-07-20T15:55:47+00:00

    That is your issue I believe. That brand printer has multiple issues with any updates. I would go with your idea of buying a different brand printer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments