WINDOWS JULY 2022 KB5015807 CREATED DUPLICATE COPY OF PRINTER

Anonymous
2022-07-17T15:38:14+00:00

Right after the July 11th install of Windows Update KB501587 I could not print. My laptop and printer (connected USB to my laptop) serves as the "Host Printer" for 2 other laptops on my network. When I started to investigate I see there is a 'Copy 1' of the same printer. I picked 'Copy 1' and I could print, but the other laptops would not. So I mapped the other 2 laptops on the network to print with 'Copy 1'.

I have repeatedly set COPY 1 to the default. I do not have "let windows manage my printer' checked.

After days of trying to trouble shoot this, I see that this is an issue with Windows updates for years. The new update installed new printer softer and magically created another copy. That would be fine, but what is happening is that the original installation of my Dell is being defaulted to all the time. I can't print unless I manually go into settings and pick 'COPY 1'. Same of course with the other laptops. If I close the 'Settings' box, it then defaults all by itself to the original copy of the printer which does work any more.

In other words, I have one PRINTER ICON SHOWING, but a subfolder which was caused by the latest update. See screen shots. How do I solve the issue of the original printer settings becoming the default all the time. It doesn't print and neither then do my other laptops on the network. I want to keep COPY 1 of my Dell but get rid of the other phantom name of the same printer.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-07-18T16:20:29+00:00

    I finally found what the guy was talking about and did report the issue. Other folks are now reporting the same issue that I have.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Reza-Ameri 45,896 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-07-18T17:16:11+00:00

    Like you said, it seems to be a bug and when you report it, the Windows team will be able to investigate and resolve the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-07-19T13:46:32+00:00

    I work for a copier/printer company. We are being bombarded with calls for usb printers spewing garbage after the update. You are not alone

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-07-19T14:59:38+00:00

    Your reply made me feel better in that I'm not alone. I knew it wasn't just me.

    I shudder every time there is an update from Microsoft because of the horrible consequences.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-07-20T14:42:03+00:00

    Same here, even tried to remove the update. but the issue persists.

    So tried:
    Deleting all the print drivers and corrosponding queue.

    Ran the driver cleaner from manufacturer

    Removed the updated

    Re-installed the Driver. Also tried a third party driver with the same result.

    Going to test another brand of printer tomorrow as a work around.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments