WINDOWS JULY 2022 KB5015807 CREATED DUPLICATE COPY OF PRINTER

Anonymous
2022-07-17T15:38:14+00:00

Right after the July 11th install of Windows Update KB501587 I could not print. My laptop and printer (connected USB to my laptop) serves as the "Host Printer" for 2 other laptops on my network. When I started to investigate I see there is a 'Copy 1' of the same printer. I picked 'Copy 1' and I could print, but the other laptops would not. So I mapped the other 2 laptops on the network to print with 'Copy 1'.

I have repeatedly set COPY 1 to the default. I do not have "let windows manage my printer' checked.

After days of trying to trouble shoot this, I see that this is an issue with Windows updates for years. The new update installed new printer softer and magically created another copy. That would be fine, but what is happening is that the original installation of my Dell is being defaulted to all the time. I can't print unless I manually go into settings and pick 'COPY 1'. Same of course with the other laptops. If I close the 'Settings' box, it then defaults all by itself to the original copy of the printer which does work any more.

In other words, I have one PRINTER ICON SHOWING, but a subfolder which was caused by the latest update. See screen shots. How do I solve the issue of the original printer settings becoming the default all the time. It doesn't print and neither then do my other laptops on the network. I want to keep COPY 1 of my Dell but get rid of the other phantom name of the same printer.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-09-06T23:05:44+00:00

    Well I am not sure. There was a mouse driver update, a Lenovo system update, four MS Defender AV definition updates in the last couple of days. Not sure if the AV defs normally require a restart, but pretty sure the Lenovo update does.

    I don't have a definite MS Update to point to this time, and the restart was just this morning. The update you mentioned I dealt with that as well, even uninstalled it (and another) to see if that made a difference.

    In the end, removing as much HP files as I could find, including those not removed by uninstalling, reinstalling everything... that works. Until the next update presents us with another copy of any USB printer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-09-06T23:21:26+00:00

    Go into your settings. Go to Windows update. Go to 'see installed updates'. What is your latest Microsoft update?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-09-07T00:18:00+00:00

    The last two: KB5015734 and 5016632. August 9/10.

    However, those two did not require another restart just today. Perhaps they still cause the problem every time the PC is restarted?

    When those two were installed, that's what gave me the initial headache with the printing issues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-09-07T12:55:42+00:00

    If you google those two updates, you can read about them. Do you have Windows 11? I know that Window 11 uses also had issues with updates and then printer issues.

    The only suggestion I have is to totally uninstall your printer and then reinstall again. It is also possible that it is time for a new printer as some of the older printers do not have drivers that work with Windows 11.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments