Your reply made me feel better in that I'm not alone. I knew it wasn't just me.
I shudder every time there is an update from Microsoft because of the horrible consequences.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Right after the July 11th install of Windows Update KB501587 I could not print. My laptop and printer (connected USB to my laptop) serves as the "Host Printer" for 2 other laptops on my network. When I started to investigate I see there is a 'Copy 1' of the same printer. I picked 'Copy 1' and I could print, but the other laptops would not. So I mapped the other 2 laptops on the network to print with 'Copy 1'.
I have repeatedly set COPY 1 to the default. I do not have "let windows manage my printer' checked.
After days of trying to trouble shoot this, I see that this is an issue with Windows updates for years. The new update installed new printer softer and magically created another copy. That would be fine, but what is happening is that the original installation of my Dell is being defaulted to all the time. I can't print unless I manually go into settings and pick 'COPY 1'. Same of course with the other laptops. If I close the 'Settings' box, it then defaults all by itself to the original copy of the printer which does work any more.
In other words, I have one PRINTER ICON SHOWING, but a subfolder which was caused by the latest update. See screen shots. How do I solve the issue of the original printer settings becoming the default all the time. It doesn't print and neither then do my other laptops on the network. I want to keep COPY 1 of my Dell but get rid of the other phantom name of the same printer.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Your reply made me feel better in that I'm not alone. I knew it wasn't just me.
I shudder every time there is an update from Microsoft because of the horrible consequences.
I work for a copier/printer company. We are being bombarded with calls for usb printers spewing garbage after the update. You are not alone
Like you said, it seems to be a bug and when you report it, the Windows team will be able to investigate and resolve the issue.
I finally found what the guy was talking about and did report the issue. Other folks are now reporting the same issue that I have.
I believe you are asking about the Feedback Hub app; this is an application inside the Windows where you could find it from start menu, and you may file a bug report and when you do, the Windows team will review and investigate it. I advise you to report this issue using the Feedback Hub app.
It is always good idea to share this issue with the device's manufacturer because they might be able to reproduce it and share a workaround.