It is an Zebra 420D via USB
WINDOWS JULY 2022 KB5015807 CREATED DUPLICATE COPY OF PRINTER
Right after the July 11th install of Windows Update KB501587 I could not print. My laptop and printer (connected USB to my laptop) serves as the "Host Printer" for 2 other laptops on my network. When I started to investigate I see there is a 'Copy 1' of the same printer. I picked 'Copy 1' and I could print, but the other laptops would not. So I mapped the other 2 laptops on the network to print with 'Copy 1'.
I have repeatedly set COPY 1 to the default. I do not have "let windows manage my printer' checked.
After days of trying to trouble shoot this, I see that this is an issue with Windows updates for years. The new update installed new printer softer and magically created another copy. That would be fine, but what is happening is that the original installation of my Dell is being defaulted to all the time. I can't print unless I manually go into settings and pick 'COPY 1'. Same of course with the other laptops. If I close the 'Settings' box, it then defaults all by itself to the original copy of the printer which does work any more.
In other words, I have one PRINTER ICON SHOWING, but a subfolder which was caused by the latest update. See screen shots. How do I solve the issue of the original printer settings becoming the default all the time. It doesn't print and neither then do my other laptops on the network. I want to keep COPY 1 of my Dell but get rid of the other phantom name of the same printer.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2022-07-20T15:38:15+00:00 -
Anonymous
2022-07-20T15:32:10+00:00 What printer do you have? Were you connected via USB to your computer?
-
Anonymous
2022-07-20T15:09:44+00:00 Hi,
No copy before the update.
Tried to manually change port, but it would simply not take. as soon as we clicked apply it changed back.
trying to delete the port we get told it is not a "supported feature"
-
Anonymous
2022-07-20T15:00:05+00:00 Did you see 'copy 1' of your printer in the icons? Before the update, it was labeled correctly 'DELL 2335dn MFP'.
This is what the update did. It created a 'copy' of the original Dell printer mapping on a port and then magically copy 1 appeared. Therefore all of my networking with my shared printer no longer existed.
I had to map all of my devices to the port that Copy 1 was on in order to get them to print.
-
Anonymous
2022-07-20T14:42:03+00:00 Same here, even tried to remove the update. but the issue persists.
So tried:
Deleting all the print drivers and corrosponding queue.Ran the driver cleaner from manufacturer
Removed the updated
Re-installed the Driver. Also tried a third party driver with the same result.
Going to test another brand of printer tomorrow as a work around.