WINDOWS JULY 2022 KB5015807 CREATED DUPLICATE COPY OF PRINTER

Anonymous
2022-07-17T15:38:14+00:00

Right after the July 11th install of Windows Update KB501587 I could not print. My laptop and printer (connected USB to my laptop) serves as the "Host Printer" for 2 other laptops on my network. When I started to investigate I see there is a 'Copy 1' of the same printer. I picked 'Copy 1' and I could print, but the other laptops would not. So I mapped the other 2 laptops on the network to print with 'Copy 1'.

I have repeatedly set COPY 1 to the default. I do not have "let windows manage my printer' checked.

After days of trying to trouble shoot this, I see that this is an issue with Windows updates for years. The new update installed new printer softer and magically created another copy. That would be fine, but what is happening is that the original installation of my Dell is being defaulted to all the time. I can't print unless I manually go into settings and pick 'COPY 1'. Same of course with the other laptops. If I close the 'Settings' box, it then defaults all by itself to the original copy of the printer which does work any more.

In other words, I have one PRINTER ICON SHOWING, but a subfolder which was caused by the latest update. See screen shots. How do I solve the issue of the original printer settings becoming the default all the time. It doesn't print and neither then do my other laptops on the network. I want to keep COPY 1 of my Dell but get rid of the other phantom name of the same printer.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-08-20T02:36:33+00:00

    Hi, thanks for the reply.

    I tried doing a restore to an earlier time.

    I don’t have a cancel button on my printer… it’s a photo stylus RX650, so I can’t figure how to do that initialisation thing.

    I really think the update has somehow fried the printer… the computer says it’s working, but it’s not. The menu screen on the actual printer just never comes up now, so I can’t even do photocopies from it.

    I had a similar issue on my computer a couple of years ago where an update killed my Wi-Fi, I reverted back to a cable for a while, then got a USB Wi-Fi thingy. Excuse my high tech terminology LOL.

    I’ve spent around 10 hours so far googling and trying all different suggested solutions.

    Unfortunately so far, nothing has worked.

    If you have any other suggestions, I’d be most grateful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-08-19T23:49:59+00:00

    Have you uninstalled that update?

    Try this one for your Epson:

    Initializing Your Printer

    To initialize your printer, turn on the printer while pressing the Cancel Job button on the printer's control panel.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-08-19T23:27:49+00:00

    You’re lucky.

    My Epson printer will not work at all after the latest window’s update. It no longe4 initialises so I can’t even use it as a photo copier, let alone use it to print from the computer. It’s an older printer connected via USB, but it was working perfectly last weekend just before the update. Not happy at all. I’ve spent hours and hours trying to solve this issue. And basically given up now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-08-01T15:15:12+00:00

    I already resolved the problem. I see no need to do so.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-08-01T15:08:13+00:00

    If it is causing you printing issues, then uninstall that update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments