WINDOWS JULY 2022 KB5015807 CREATED DUPLICATE COPY OF PRINTER

Anonymous
2022-07-17T15:38:14+00:00

Right after the July 11th install of Windows Update KB501587 I could not print. My laptop and printer (connected USB to my laptop) serves as the "Host Printer" for 2 other laptops on my network. When I started to investigate I see there is a 'Copy 1' of the same printer. I picked 'Copy 1' and I could print, but the other laptops would not. So I mapped the other 2 laptops on the network to print with 'Copy 1'.

I have repeatedly set COPY 1 to the default. I do not have "let windows manage my printer' checked.

After days of trying to trouble shoot this, I see that this is an issue with Windows updates for years. The new update installed new printer softer and magically created another copy. That would be fine, but what is happening is that the original installation of my Dell is being defaulted to all the time. I can't print unless I manually go into settings and pick 'COPY 1'. Same of course with the other laptops. If I close the 'Settings' box, it then defaults all by itself to the original copy of the printer which does work any more.

In other words, I have one PRINTER ICON SHOWING, but a subfolder which was caused by the latest update. See screen shots. How do I solve the issue of the original printer settings becoming the default all the time. It doesn't print and neither then do my other laptops on the network. I want to keep COPY 1 of my Dell but get rid of the other phantom name of the same printer.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-09-06T21:45:15+00:00

    And now, with this last update, I have a copy 2 of my USB printer.

    Also affected, if anyone uses Dymo Label Writers Duo model, the tape printer was not even recognized, period. After an agonizing 8 hours of troubleshooting, I finally get it to recognize both, however, I cannot print because I get the error "No tape installed" (even after removing and re-inserting the tape spool).

    So, there is still no current fix from Microsoft regarding these USB printer drivers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-08-22T19:52:10+00:00

    You are correct. Now, Microsoft just did another update in regards to this 'copy 1' printer issue which is also causing the 'COPY 1' printer issues and/or addressing the previous printer issues with duplicate copies of the printer. It is this new update: August 9, 2022—KB5016616

    Microsoft has received reports of issues affecting some printing devices following installation of this update. Symptoms observed may include duplicate copies of printers installed on a device (commonly with a similar name and the suffix "Copy1"), and applications which refer to the printer by a specific name cannot print.<br><br>Normal printer usage might be interrupted, resulting in failure of printing operations. View the “Settings” app on your device. If a duplicate copy of a printer appears to exist under the “Bluetooth & devices” section, confirm whether this printer works. If so, this printer can be used normally, and other copies of the printer can be removed.<br><br>If the issue persists, update the print driver for your device. For guidance, see Install the latest driver for your printer. If you are still having issues, uninstalling and reinstalling your printer should solve the issue.<br><br>We are presently investigating a resolution and will provide an update when more information is available.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-08-22T17:59:34+00:00

    Same issue with Lexmark branded printers.

    I opened a ticket with them. Meanwhile, I cleared all print jobs on the printer itself, powered it down, disconnected the USB. Next, I deleted everything associated with that printer on the workstation. If it's showing up in device manager - delete it. Printers & Scanners - delete it. Cycle power on the workstation. I then pulled down the drivers manually from Lexmark website and installed. About ten minutes later in Printers & Scanners, the printer showed up. Powered up the printer. Reconnected via USB. Printed test page - viola, it works again.

    Went back to my office and had an update from my ticket:

    Solution:

    This is not a Lexmark Printer or driver issue. This is a Microsoft issue. 

    This has to do with the addition of IPP over USB to Windows 10. In some cases the USB printers are mis-detected as supporting IPP over USB, so the printers get into a bad state. Other issues reported are that a second instance of the printer is created, (Copy 1), and one of them will work. 

    Current mitigation suggested from Microsoft --- 

    Unplug the printer 

    Delete the printer under Control Panel – devices 

    plug the printer back in and have it redetect and reinstall. 

    View the “Settings” app on Windows 10. If a duplicate copy (Copy1) of a printer appears to exist under the “Bluetooth & devices” section, confirm whether this printer works. If so, this printer can be used normally, and other copies of the printer can be removed. 

    If the issue still exists, uninstalling and reinstalling your driver should solve the issue. 

    Microsoft is presently investigating a resolution. We will update the KB as and when we get more updates from Microsoft.

    Hope this helps someone!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-08-20T12:57:26+00:00

    I'm assuming you have updated all of the drivers for your printer? I do see you have an older one and I've read many posts that it was simply time to get a new printer.

    It's possible your printer is now dead.

    The only other thing you can try is to totally uninstall that printer including all drivers. Make sure you unplug the printer from the computer and from the wall plug also.

    Reboot your computer. Now, plug your printer back in and see if your computer recognizes it and installs the drivers again. Let me know what happens.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-08-20T02:41:54+00:00

    Both my computer and printer are dinosaur era ones, but they were working pretty well last weekend. And they WERE fine for what I was using them for.

    I have iPads for my everyday stuff. So only use the computer/printer once a week or less.

    I’d been doing a favour for a friend who needed an inkjet printer due to the type of paper (fabric transfers) they had. Unfortunately she want just one more print on Thursday night…. Oh dear.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments