I will try that later this afternoon. For further clarification, this has been happening since 2012. Read this thread. The one fellow who post it had the same issue but it is not clear whether or not it was ever resolved for him and his specific issue. His screen shots are identical to mine with the issue.https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/197376-multiple-copies-of-the-same-printer-but-only-1-shows-in-devices
WINDOWS JULY 2022 KB5015807 CREATED DUPLICATE COPY OF PRINTER
Right after the July 11th install of Windows Update KB501587 I could not print. My laptop and printer (connected USB to my laptop) serves as the "Host Printer" for 2 other laptops on my network. When I started to investigate I see there is a 'Copy 1' of the same printer. I picked 'Copy 1' and I could print, but the other laptops would not. So I mapped the other 2 laptops on the network to print with 'Copy 1'.
I have repeatedly set COPY 1 to the default. I do not have "let windows manage my printer' checked.
After days of trying to trouble shoot this, I see that this is an issue with Windows updates for years. The new update installed new printer softer and magically created another copy. That would be fine, but what is happening is that the original installation of my Dell is being defaulted to all the time. I can't print unless I manually go into settings and pick 'COPY 1'. Same of course with the other laptops. If I close the 'Settings' box, it then defaults all by itself to the original copy of the printer which does work any more.
In other words, I have one PRINTER ICON SHOWING, but a subfolder which was caused by the latest update. See screen shots. How do I solve the issue of the original printer settings becoming the default all the time. It doesn't print and neither then do my other laptops on the network. I want to keep COPY 1 of my Dell but get rid of the other phantom name of the same printer.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2022-07-17T17:20:16+00:00 -
Anonymous
2022-07-17T16:46:57+00:00 Two possible solutions -
- Set the Port setting in the problem one to match the port used in the working Copy 1.
- If that doesn't help, you might be able to remove the problem entry using the Print Management Snap in of Computer Management.
See the "Here is how to do that :" part of the link below re. how to access the Print Management Snap in. https://superuser.com/questions/255699/where-can-i-see-the-printer-driver-version-on-windows
Note: If the first suggestion is doable, it might be better to reduce the risk of Windows Update messing it up again.
I'm interested in how / if these work. Please let us know.
-
Anonymous
2022-07-17T16:14:38+00:00 I have no idea what you are talking about. I do not want to uninstall my printer and try to reinstall it again as it is all working on all of my network shared laptops now. The issue is that the copy 1 of my printer will not stay as default.
Your first line: Not a clue what you mean. Plus this is not Dell's problem. It is a Microsoft Windows update issue. Almost a repeat of the printer nightmare from months ago with that update. This has been happening with Windows Updates since Windows 7. Multiple articles on it on the internet.
-
Reza-Ameri 45,896 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2022-07-17T15:58:52+00:00 Try open start and search for feedback and open the Feedback Hub app and report this issue.
Try uninstalling your printer's software and driver and restart your PC and reinstall it.
You may report this issue to the Dell's support.